From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Pietro Abate <Pietro.Abate@anu.edu.au>
Cc: ocaml ml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] macosx, ocaml, findlib and extlib
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:46:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, den 19.10.2006, 11:03 +1000 schrieb Pietro Abate:
> Then I tried via godi, but as far as I understand, you need to download,
> compile everything via godi,

This is only partly correct. It is absolutely no problem to install
additional libraries. Just do it, these are of course not managed by
godi, and you are on your own in questions of upgrades etc.

What is kind of problematic is to replace godi versions of packages by
your own ones (imagine you want to upgrade or patch a library that is
needed by other libraries). This is possible, though, but requires some
understanding of godi concepts. In particular, you can have local
sources for godi packages that replace or override the official ones.

It is even possible to provide an adapted version of godi to your users.

>  and there is no clear way (that I can see,
> but I can be wrong) to have a system wide installation.

It is unclear what you want here. The recommended way for a system wide
installation is to have a special "godi" user as owner of the files. You
must see that godi is a management system that does not need superuser
privileges. Although you can install godi as superuser, this is not
recommended because you execute third-party programs even if you only
install packages, i.e. this is a security risk.

This is different from other package managers that depend on superuser
privileges, and maybe announce that as ability for system wide
installations.

> Moreover I see
> godi as too 'difficult' to use for my users.

Can you please elaborate on that? It is clear that godi isn't made for a
pure consumer of software, but aims at developers who usually also have
basic administration skills.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714