* OCaml as an application scripting language (like Guile)?
@ 2007-12-12 22:31 JAN OBER
From: JAN OBER @ 2007-12-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting OCaml integrated as a scripting
language into a C++ application.

I had a hard time finding how one would go about getting the
bytecode compiler and bytecode interpreter integrated
in a library-like fashion. Of course I could have the
compiler and runtime invoked from within the C++ application,
and have an IPC with a "server" thread within the application.
But this seems to add too much overhead (both at runtime, and
in general code messiness).

Ideally, I'd like Guile that digs OCaml ;)

Cheers, Kuba

* RE: [Caml-list] OCaml as an application scripting language (like Guile)?
@ 2007-12-12 22:52 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-12-12 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jan Ober wrote:
> I had a hard time finding how one would go about getting the
> bytecode compiler and bytecode interpreter integrated
> in a library-like fashion.
toplevel/topmain.ml and driver/main.ml in the OCaml sources are both pretty
good start-points to show how the compiler and runtime work. Section 18.7.4
of the manual explains embedding OCaml code within a C(++) library (and
there have been various threads in the past on this list on the subject).

I have no idea (though would be interested to know) what the licensing
aspects of doing that would be... I had a brief look at the code a few
months ago for another project and reckoned that there'd be no need to alter
any of the OCaml source files, but I don't know whether the linking
exception in the licence for OCaml extends to linking the compiler into an
application!

David