* Modules vs Modular programming
@ 2007-02-23 20:16 Julien Peeters
From: Julien Peeters @ 2007-02-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list members,

I'am currently working on a academic project in OCaml. I have to do the
choice of multiple files vs multiple ocaml modules per file.

I would like to know your point of view about this choice I have to do.
For instance, what did you choose if you've already done this choice and
why?

--
Julien Peeters
Computer science student in second year of Bachelor

* Re: [Caml-list] Modules vs Modular programming
@ 2007-02-23 20:41 ` Eric Cooper
From: Eric Cooper @ 2007-02-23 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:16:11PM +0100, Julien Peeters wrote:
> I'am currently working on a academic project in OCaml. I have to do the
> choice of multiple files vs multiple ocaml modules per file.
>
> I would like to know your point of view about this choice I have to do.
> For instance, what did you choose if you've already done this choice and
> why?

I would use one module per file for all but trivial modules, to take
advantage of the OCaml compiler's support for that model (pairing of
.mli with .ml files), and better support by software development tools
like make and subversion, etc., which operate at file granularity.

An example of trivial modules where this doesn't apply would be those
built for the purposes of functor application -- they often have
components that just rename values defined elsewhere.