From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: "Harrison, John R" <john.r.harrison@intel.com>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Saving the OCaml interpreter state
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:38:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Freitag, den 13.04.2007, 12:07 -0700 schrieb Harrison, John R:
> By the way, I checked with someone who knows Poly/ML, and it turns out
> that
>
> the new mechanism can still be used to get save/restore of sessions
> just by nominating
>
> the Poly/ML toplevel as the function to export as a binary. So
> although the mechanism
>
> has changed, the basic support for saving and restoring sessions has
> not vanished.
>

> I would very much like to see some such facility in OCaml. How hard is
> it? I vaguely
>
> remember some apparent problem with closures being allocated on the
> stack, but I
>
> don’t recall the details.

My guess is that it is not so hard for core O'Caml: dump the bytecode,
the toploop bindings (using Marshal), the bytecode stack and everything
the interpreter needs.

You'll run into some trouble when you have values in your bindings that
cannot be marshalled, e.g. open files, mutexes, database handles, etc.

You'll run into big trouble, however, once you want to use external (C)
libraries. There is no interface for reinitializing them after being
loaded from a dumped session. This is probably the hardest part. Library
initialization is usually done by the caml module that accompanies the
library. This code wouldn't be executed if you just load the bytecode
from a file. You'd need a second initialization path for the reload
case.

My thinking about this feature at all is: It is reminiscent of the time
when there wasn't a real compiler, but it was practise to create a
session by loading file by file into the interpreter. That was slow, and
dumping the session sped that up. Note that you can do something similar
with the Caml toploop by creating your own one (ocamlmktop), or by
to open modules. What we don't have is a convenient way to create
sessions. Maybe we can add that by recording the interactively submitted
definitions, and replaying them later.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714