From: skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
To: Nicolas Pouillard <nicolas.pouillard@gmail.com>
Cc: "jake.donham" <jake.donham@skydeck.com>, caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild: args to tags?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 00:03:37 +1000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 14:29 +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Excerpts from jake.donham's message of Tue Sep 18 20:01:56 +0200 2007:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to pass arguments to a preprocessor via the _tags file?
>
> Yes,  but  that's  not  what  you  want.  Moreover  this feature is not really
> encouraged.

Just my 2c .. I think all this stuff is wrong. I think it should be
done like this:

(* My Ocaml File .. *)
(*#Syntax Mycamlp4syn *) (* for compatibility *)
#syntax Mycamlp4syn;     (* better *)

In other words, if you're using a language mycamplp4syn, you should
say so IN the file using it .. not on the command line.

Ocamlbuild then

* finds the dependencies
* builds them
* applies them to the files using them

I think it is wrong software engineering the current way.
If you use a module you have to either open it or at least use
its name:

	List.map

Just because camlp4 modules are *meta* should not excuse them
from this requirement.

Command line should be used for performance tuning and debugging,
and for mapping abstract resources (like modules and syntaxen)
onto the file system .. but not for specifying semantic requirements.