From: Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestcapital.com>
To: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Job Announcement
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:43:09 -0400	[thread overview]

I apologize for boring long-time subscribes to this list, but I would
like to mention yet again that Jane Street is hiring OCaml programmers.
Over the last few years we have built up a team of more than 20
functional programmers, and we're looking to hire more.

A couple of notes:

  * We have offices in London, New York and Tokyo.  We are especially
    eager to hire OCaml developers into the Tokyo office.
  * We are particularly interested in developers who have experience in
    systems administration and design.

Here's a quick summary of what Jane Street is all about:

Jane Street is a trading firm that brings a deep understanding of
trading, a scientific approach, and innovative technology to bear on the
problem of trading profitably on the world's highly-competitive
financial markets.  We run a small, nimble operation where technology
and trading are tightly integrated.

At Jane Street, there is room to get deeply involved in a number of
areas at the same time. We are actively looking for people interested in
software development, system administration, and quantitative
research--potentially all on the same day.

The ideal candidate has:

    * A commitment to the practical. One of the big attractions of our
      work is the opportunity to apply serious ideas to real-world
      problems.
    * Experience with functional programming languages (OCaml, SML,
      Scheme, Haskell, Lisp, F#, Erlang, etc) is important. Applicants
      should also have experience with UNIX and a strong understanding
      of computers and technology.
    * Good second-order knowledge. In trading, understanding the
      boundary between what you do and don't know is as (or more)
      important than how much you know.
    * If you're interested in research, a strong mathematical background
      is a must. This includes a good understanding of probability and
      statistics, calculus, algorithms, etc. We draw on ideas from
      everywhere we can, so we value interest and experience in a range
      of scientific fields.

The environment at Jane Street is open, informal, intellectual, and
fun. You can wear a t-shirt and jeans to the office every day, the
kitchen is stocked, and discussions are always lively. We encourage a
focus on learning, both through formal seminars and classes, as well as
through day-to-day conversations with colleagues. Other perks include
competitive salaries, rapid advancement for people who do well,
excellent benefits, free lunch, and a gym on-site (the last is NY only).

If you are interested, send an application to Yaron Minsky
(yminsky@janestcapital.com) including a resume, cover letter, and
optionally some sample code you've written.

If you'd like to know a little bit more about how we came to use OCaml
as our primary development language, take a look at these slides from a
talk we gave at CUFP 2006 and the article I wrote for the Monad Reader.

   http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf
   http://www.haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/03/TMR-Issue7.pdf

--
Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestcapital.com>