* Job Announcement
@ 2007-10-03 19:43 Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2007-10-03 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I apologize for boring long-time subscribes to this list, but I would
like to mention yet again that Jane Street is hiring OCaml programmers.
Over the last few years we have built up a team of more than 20
functional programmers, and we're looking to hire more.

A couple of notes:

  * We have offices in London, New York and Tokyo.  We are especially
    eager to hire OCaml developers into the Tokyo office.
  * We are particularly interested in developers who have experience in
    systems administration and design.

Here's a quick summary of what Jane Street is all about:

Jane Street is a trading firm that brings a deep understanding of
trading, a scientific approach, and innovative technology to bear on the
problem of trading profitably on the world's highly-competitive
financial markets.  We run a small, nimble operation where technology
and trading are tightly integrated.

At Jane Street, there is room to get deeply involved in a number of
areas at the same time. We are actively looking for people interested in
software development, system administration, and quantitative
research--potentially all on the same day.

The ideal candidate has:

    * A commitment to the practical. One of the big attractions of our
      work is the opportunity to apply serious ideas to real-world
      problems.
    * Experience with functional programming languages (OCaml, SML,
      Scheme, Haskell, Lisp, F#, Erlang, etc) is important. Applicants
      should also have experience with UNIX and a strong understanding
      of computers and technology.
    * Good second-order knowledge. In trading, understanding the
      boundary between what you do and don't know is as (or more)
      important than how much you know.
    * If you're interested in research, a strong mathematical background
      is a must. This includes a good understanding of probability and
      statistics, calculus, algorithms, etc. We draw on ideas from
      everywhere we can, so we value interest and experience in a range
      of scientific fields.

The environment at Jane Street is open, informal, intellectual, and
fun. You can wear a t-shirt and jeans to the office every day, the
kitchen is stocked, and discussions are always lively. We encourage a
focus on learning, both through formal seminars and classes, as well as
through day-to-day conversations with colleagues. Other perks include
competitive salaries, rapid advancement for people who do well,
excellent benefits, free lunch, and a gym on-site (the last is NY only).

If you are interested, send an application to Yaron Minsky
(yminsky@janestcapital.com) including a resume, cover letter, and
optionally some sample code you've written.

If you'd like to know a little bit more about how we came to use OCaml
as our primary development language, take a look at these slides from a
talk we gave at CUFP 2006 and the article I wrote for the Monad Reader.

   http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf
   http://www.haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/03/TMR-Issue7.pdf

--

@ 2006-12-22 18:52 Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2006-12-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm pleased to announce that Jane Street Capital is yet again looking
to hire some top-notch functional programmers.  Of particular note is
that Jane Street Europe Ltd. now has an office in London, and we are
particularly interested in hiring someone for that office with strong
systems administration skills in addition to experience with
functional programming languages.

You can find out more about Jane Street here:

   http://www.janestcapital.com/tech.html

I should also warn people that I will have spotty email access for the
next couple of weeks, so it will take me some extra time to get back
to people.

Here's the full job announcement.

Jane Street Capital is a proprietary trading firm that operates around
the clock and around the world. We bring a deep understanding of
trading, a scientific approach, and innovative technology to bear on
the problem of trading profitably on the world's highly-competitive
financial markets. We run a small, nimble operation where technology
and trading are tightly integrated.

At Jane Street, there is room to get deeply involved in a number of
areas at the same time. We are actively looking for people interested
in software development, system administration, and quantitative
research--potentially all on the same day.

We have offices in the New York, London and Tokyo.  Most of our hiring
is for the New York office, but we are looking for applicants in our
foreign offices as well.  In some circumstances we have hired foreign
applicants for the US office through the H1-B and the F1 visa
programs. In such cases, we support and fund the visa application
process.

We are looking for talented candidates across the range.  We are also
particularly interested in finding someone with skills and interest in
systems administration for Jane Street Europe Ltd.'s London office.

The ideal candidate has:

    * A commitment to the practical. One of the big attractions of our
      work is the opportunity to apply serious ideas to real-world
      problems.
    * Experience with functional programming languages (OCaml, SML,
      Scheme, Haskell, Lisp, F#, Erlang, etc) is important. Applicants
      should also have experience with UNIX and a deep understanding
      of computers and technology.
    * A strong mathematical background. This is a must for candidates
      interested in research, and includes a good understanding of
      probability and statistics, calculus, algorithms, etc. We draw
      on ideas from everywhere we can, so we value interest and
      experience in a range of scientific fields.
    * Good second-order knowledge. In trading, understanding the
      boundary between what you do and don't know is as (or more)
      important than how much you know.

The environment at Jane Street is open, informal, intellectual, and
fun. You can wear a t-shirt and jeans to the office, the kitchen is
stocked, and discussions are always lively. We encourage a focus on
learning, both through formal seminars and classes, as well as through
day-to-day conversations with colleagues.  Other perks include
competitive salaries, rapid advancement for people who do well,
excellent benefits, free lunch, and a gym on-site.

We are currently looking for full-time positions as well as summer
interns (internship positions are only avaliable in the US office, and
for people who already have the right to work in the USa). If you are
interested, send an application to Yaron Minsky
(yminsky@janestcapital.com) including a resume, cover letter, and
optionally some sample code you've written.

If you'd like to know a little bit more about how we came to use OCaml
as our primary development language, take a look at these slides from
a talk we gave at CUFP 2006:

   http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf

--
Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestcapital.com>

* Re: Job Announcement
@ 2006-06-08 20:16 ` Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2006-06-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

A quick note:  my email was down earlier today, but is back up now, in
case anyone was trying to reach me.

Yaron

--

@ 2006-06-07 22:35 Yaron Minsky