From: Benjamin Canou <benjamin.canou@gmail.com>
To: caml-list <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] polymorphic lists,  existential types and asorted other hattery
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:13:04 +0100	[thread overview]

  Hi,

I've simulated objects with records like this in the past in when I
didn't need method resolution, and this thread made me worry about the
execution speed of such a pattern compared to ocaml objects.
So I made a little comparison between records and classes to do this
task (the code follows my message). Here is the result :

benjamin@benjamin-laptop:~/Work/Stuff$ ocamlopt classesvsrecords.ml -o
classesvsrecords && ./classesvsrecords
Classes: build = 1.316082, apply = 2.324145
Records: build = 1.872116, apply = 2.320145

Basically, objects are created faster than records (I think that an
object is created in O(1) whereas a record takes O(number of closures)
to be filled). Calls take the same time.

So, if you have to allocate a great number of values, then I think you
should consider using objects, otherwise, records wrapping the values
seem to be a correct option.

  Benjamin.

(* classes *)

let show l = List.map (fun x -> x#show) l

class integer x =
  object
    method show = print_int x
    method to_string = string_of_int x
  end

class floating x =
  object
    method show = print_float x
    method to_string = string_of_float x
  end

(* records *)

type element = { show : unit -> unit ; to_string : unit -> string }

let wrap_int x = {
  show = (fun () -> print_int x) ;
  to_string = (fun () -> string_of_int x)
}

let wrap_float x = {
  show = (fun () -> print_float x) ;
  to_string = (fun () -> string_of_float x)
}

(* bench *)

let test_classes () =
  let rec build_classes n acc =
    if n <= 0 then
      acc
    else
      build_classes
	(pred n)
	((new floating (float_of_int n))
	 :: (new integer n)
	 :: acc)
  in
  let t1 = Sys.time () in
  let list = build_classes 1000000 [] in
  let t2 = Sys.time () in
    List.iter (fun x -> ignore (x#to_string)) list ;
    t2 -. t1, Sys.time () -. t2

let test_records () =
  let rec build_records n acc =
    if n <= 0 then
      acc
    else
      build_records
	(pred n)
	((wrap_float (float_of_int n))
	 :: (wrap_int n)
	 :: acc)
  in
  let t1 = Sys.time () in
  let list = build_records 1000000 [] in
  let t2 = Sys.time () in
    List.iter (fun x -> ignore (x.to_string ())) list ;
    t2 -. t1, Sys.time () -. t2

let _ =
  let tci, tca = test_classes ()
  and tri, tra = test_records () in
  Printf.printf
    "Classes: build = %f, apply = %f\nRecords: build = %f, apply = %f
\n"
    tci tca tri tra