Excerpts from David Allsopp's message of Wed Mar 12 09:14:47 UTC 2008: [...] > AFAIK ocamlbuild uses the new camlp4 so, while not impossible, back-porting > it to work with <= 3.09 is at best non-trivial? No ocamlbuild don't use camlp4. However camlp4 use ocamlbuild. And ocamlbuild functions like Unix.isatty and Sys.is_directory. That appears in 3.10. Moreover I don't have enough time to release/package ocamlbuild more often. Hopefully ocamlbuild plugins are a way to extend it and try new ideas without waiting for a release. > -----Original Message----- > From: caml-list-bounces@yquem.inria.fr > [mailto:caml-list-bounces@yquem.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Erick Tryzelaar > Sent: 12 March 2008 04:57 > To: caml-list@inria.fr > Subject: [Caml-list] what's in the future for ocamlbuild? > > After reading the ocamlbuild + findlib thread, it reminded me about > some of the concerns I have with ocamlbuild. It's a really cool > system, but there doesn't seem to be much public planning and > contribution to making it better. For instance, it seems like the > community is waiting for Nicolas Pouillard to add support for multiple > plugins instead of us working together to spec out and create it > ourselves. > > Why is this? For me at least, I think some of it is that I see > ocamlbuild being intimately tied in with inria's ocaml compiler, and > inria has been reasonably quiet about future development and external > participation. So, unlike other projects, I've never really put that > much effort into submitting patches. Is there anything we can do to > change this? > > There are a couple things that I've long thought would be great to > have in ocamlbuild: > > - I love that ocamlbuild is bundled with ocaml as then it's one less > dependency for someone building an ocaml package, but I don't like how > it then ties it's release to ocaml releases. First, since new versions > of ocaml aren't really publicly planned, it's hard to know when a > feature might be added to ocamlbuild. Second, we can't use ocamlbuild > to build a system if the system compiler isn't 3.10. I don't think > ocamlbuild actually uses anything from 3.10. So, it would be nice if > there was also a separate release from ocaml that we could install > along side of an older ocaml install. > > - Now, in order to use it along side an older install, you can't > actually use a myocamlbuild.ml file as you'd have conflicting versions > of libraries. So, beyond what you can do with just the current _tags > file, it'd be also great if we could add support for some of the more > common features you need to go to myocamlbuild.ml right now. For > instance, you have to declare a library through "ocaml_lib". Could we > extend the _tags file support something like: > > : use_bar > ocaml, library, byte, use_foo: foo.cma > ocaml, library, byte, use_bar: bar.cma, external, dir('bar') > > With this and other similar extensions, we wouldn't have to go to > myocamlbuild as much. I don't think _tags should grow into a full > language, but I think we could cover more common cases with it. > > - A way for the community to add support for other languages. It may > not make sense to code in the OCaml tree support for things like Java > or the QT library. It also might not really be appropriate to be done > through OSR either. > > - ocamlbuild currently can't run on windows's cmd.exe, which is a > shame. This bug report suggests that it's not planned on changing > either: > > http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4388 > > I know that other languages like python are able to work cross > platformly with cmd.exe (such as my custom python build system for > felix), so for at least my purposes it works fine. In my case I'd be > okay with accepting the limitations of cmd.exe by avoiding doing any > fancy shell scripts, or pushing that in smart wrappers to ocamlbuild. > Furthermore, you could just skip the shell altogether and either > fork-exec on linux or runProcess on windows. > > > There's more I could add, but I hope this can start a conversation > about this. What do the rest of you think? > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs -- Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai