From: Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestcapital.com>
To: Dario Teixeira <darioteixeira@yahoo.com>
Cc: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml Summer Project decisions are in
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:23:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:42 +0100, Dario Teixeira wrote:
> > And the project descriptions are up for your perusal.
> >
> > We chose 6 projects out of the more than 30 that we received this year.
> > This page has links to the full text of the accepted proposals.
>
> Hi,
>
> Let me just express my thanks for this initiative -- all of the six
> projects you picked are very relevant and address the most pressing
> needs of the community!
>
> I have some additional comments on some of these projects:
>
> multicore - I reckon it won't be difficult to find people willing to
>   test the new GC;  but should this project be successful, are there
>   plans to merge it into mainstream?

We spoke with Xavier before accepting this project.  If the project is
successful and the results are of sufficiently high quality, at least
some of the results have a real chance of making it into mainstream.

> menhir - there's another feature that Menhir could benefit from:
>   better integration with Ulex;  I believe that Menhir's developers
>   have already expressed their intention of doing this -- are there
>   any developments on that front?

I suggest forwarding any suggestions along those lines to Francois
Pottier, who is mentoring the Menhir project.  I have heard nothing on
this front.

> qtcaml - I realise this project aims to complete only the first stage
>   (it is after all a significant effort);  still, it is a huge step
>   forward, so cheers for that.  As previously discussed on this list,
>   there are many among us who think of Qt as the best toolkit for
>   developing graphical apps and have therefore longed for Ocaml
>   bindings.

I agree that this is a pretty exciting project if it pans out.

Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestcapital.com>