* A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-18  8:14 bill yan
From: bill yan @ 2008-06-18  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I have just installed the ocaml 3.10.2. I noticed there are 35
executable files for ocaml generated under /usr/local/bin, but only 15
man files for ocaml under /usr/local/man. What about the other
executable files under /usr/local/bin? For example, there is no man page
for /usr/local/bin/camlp4 command, how do I know how to use this
command? Thanks.

Regards,
Bill

* Re: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-18 10:21 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2008-06-18 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: bill yan

> Hi,
Hi,

> I have just installed the ocaml 3.10.2. I noticed there are 35
> executable files for ocaml generated under /usr/local/bin, but only 15
> man files for ocaml under /usr/local/man. What about the other
> executable files under /usr/local/bin? For example, there is no man page
> for /usr/local/bin/camlp4 command, how do I know how to use this
> command? Thanks.

You should prefer the HTML manuals rather than the mans.
The mans are mainly to remind quickly some command line arguments.

I think you allready have found:
  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/
which you can also download in different formats (pdf, txt, info):
  http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/release.fr.html#id2269935

For camp4, google gave me these:
  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-camlp4/
  http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4
there are other links at the end of this page:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camlp4#External_links

--
Regards

* RE: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-18 12:07   ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2008-06-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

> > I have just installed the ocaml 3.10.2. I noticed there are 35
> > executable files for ocaml generated under /usr/local/bin, but only 15
> > man files for ocaml under /usr/local/man. What about the other
> > executable files under /usr/local/bin? For example, there is no man page
> > for /usr/local/bin/camlp4 command, how do I know how to use this
> > command? Thanks.
>
> You should prefer the HTML manuals rather than the mans.
> The mans are mainly to remind quickly some command line arguments.

Totally agree, though it's pretty irritating when you find a command in
[/usr/local]/bin, have no idea where it came from[1], and man foo or info
foo both come up with nothing! Even if the man page only pointed the reader
in the direction of the HTML manual, that would be better than nothing,
IMHO.

Feature request in the bug tracker, perhaps?

David

[1] The fact that most, if not all, OCaml commands contain "caml" in them is
a good hint in this case, of course!

* Re: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-20 16:30 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2008-06-20 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill yan; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 04:14:41PM +0800, bill yan wrote:
> I have just installed the ocaml 3.10.2. I noticed there are 35
> executable files for ocaml generated under /usr/local/bin, but only 15
> man files for ocaml under /usr/local/man. What about the other
> executable files under /usr/local/bin?

Agreed, and the man pages lag behind the options supported by the
binaries too.  I guess someone needs to contribute a patch to fix
this ...

> For example, there is no man page
> for /usr/local/bin/camlp4 command, how do I know how to use this
> command? Thanks.

/me laughs :-)

camlp4 is ... how shall I put this ... very very powerful, but also
only 'lightly' documented.  The situation has slightly improved with
the camlp4 wiki (http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4) but
one could write a book about camlp4, and I wish someone would.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-22 13:28   ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2008-06-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> /me laughs :-)
>
> camlp4 is ... how shall I put this ... very very powerful, but also
> only 'lightly' documented.  The situation has slightly improved with
> the camlp4 wiki (http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4) but

/me laughs too :-)

The camlp4 wiki is ... mumble ... very useful, but also managed in a way
which is far from the wiki way. I've in the past tried at least twice to
get an account to contribute some documentation collected from this
mailing list after exchanges with Nicolas. Net result: no account
created -> no documentation contributed.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the

* Re: A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-23  9:08     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2008-06-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 22-06-2008, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> /me laughs :-)
>>
>> camlp4 is ... how shall I put this ... very very powerful, but also
>> only 'lightly' documented.  The situation has slightly improved with
>> the camlp4 wiki (http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4) but
>
> /me laughs too :-)
>
> The camlp4 wiki is ... mumble ... very useful, but also managed in a way
> which is far from the wiki way. I've in the past tried at least twice to
> get an account to contribute some documentation collected from this
> mailing list after exchanges with Nicolas. Net result: no account
> created -> no documentation contributed.

Maybe, it is time to contribute this documentation to wiki.cocan.org.
This site is running pretty well and already contains a lot of
documentation.

Maybe we can ask Nicolas Pouillard to move "user documentation" to this
place... or just have the permission to move doc and do it ourselves.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-23 11:59     ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2008-06-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from Stefano Zacchiroli's message of Sun Jun 22 15:28:46 +0200 2008:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > /me laughs :-)
> >
> > camlp4 is ... how shall I put this ... very very powerful, but also
> > only 'lightly' documented.  The situation has slightly improved with
> > the camlp4 wiki (http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4) but
>
> /me laughs too :-)
>
> The camlp4 wiki is ... mumble ... very useful, but also managed in a way
> which is far from the wiki way. I've in the past tried at least twice to
> get an account to contribute some documentation collected from this
> mailing list after exchanges with Nicolas. Net result: no account
> created -> no documentation contributed.

I've just checked my e-mails, and I have no trace of your requests.
All (16) requests for accounts have received have been successfully treated,
and I don't know what happens to your requests.

If you still want an account please send me the login you want by email.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] A question about the ocaml man page
@ 2008-06-23 12:50       ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2008-06-23 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is the Message ID: <20071107150541.GA17864@takhisis.invalid>, From
zack@bononia.it to your gmail address, quoting from that:

> Ok :), and many thanks for your info Nicolas.
> ... but, am I wrong, or user creation on the Gallium wiki is disabled?
> When I click on the login link I see no option for creating a new
> account; I've also trying crafting the URL for the user creation in ways
> similar to other Mediawiki installation, but also that is not working.

which seems still to be true. Anyhow ...

> If you still want an account please send me the login you want by email.

"zack" if available, "zacchiro" otherwise. Thanks!

Cheers.

--

@ 2008-06-23 13:14         ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2008-06-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from Stefano Zacchiroli's message of Mon Jun 23 14:50:58 +0200 2008:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:59:16PM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> > I've just checked my e-mails, and I have no trace of your requests.
> >
> > All (16) requests for accounts have received have been successfully treated,
> > and I don't know what happens to your requests.
>
> Here is the Message ID: <20071107150541.GA17864@takhisis.invalid>, From
> zack@bononia.it to your gmail address, quoting from that:
>
> > Ok :), and many thanks for your info Nicolas.
> > ... but, am I wrong, or user creation on the Gallium wiki is disabled?
> > When I click on the login link I see no option for creating a new
> > account; I've also trying crafting the URL for the user creation in ways
> > similar to other Mediawiki installation, but also that is not working.
>
> which seems still to be true. Anyhow ...

You're right, I've this e-mail, but I've read it as a criticism and not a
request for account.

> > If you still want an account please send me the login you want by email.
>
> "zack" if available, "zacchiro" otherwise. Thanks!

Done.

--

@ 2008-06-23 13:25     ` Pietro Abate
From: Pietro Abate @ 2008-06-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

This is not stricly really related with this thread, but I started to
re-write the ocaml man pages a while ago and to convert them to docbook .

My working repo is here, if you're interesting in helping out.  The idea
is then to use the same pages to write ocamlduce and jocaml man pages as
well... There is still quite a bit of work to do...

ciao
:)

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-ocaml-maint/projects/ocamlman.git;a=summary