From: Frederic GAVA <frederic.gava@wanadoo.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Wikipedia
Date: Sun,  6 Nov 2005 21:22:22 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

A little thing that I do not understand. Why the wikipedia page is not written by the ocaml's team ? An encyclopedia has to been written by "expert" and in the wiki idea with the help and the comments of the communauty... and a link (just one) to the ffconsultancy.com is not problem is there are many other links even it is a firm. But other links to other compagnies should also added? Why not in the rubric application, a sub-case "firm using ocaml" (that develop special applications with ocaml). And why, in this page, there are so little links to applications in ocaml. For example, the soft http://www.astree.ens.fr/ which is develop by academics people and using by a firm ?

> Message du 06/11/05 20:39
> De : "Thomas Fischbacher"
> A : "Jon Harrop"
> Copie à : caml-list@inria.fr
> Objet : Re: [Caml-list] Wikipedia
>

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Jon Harrop wrote:
>
> ...and once again, it may be interesting to see a bit more context.
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocaml
> >
> > The page gets a lot of hits and is, most likely, the first port of call by
> > many people when trying to learn about OCaml.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the quality of this page is substantially worse than that of
> > the equivalent pages on SML, Haskell and so on. I have tried to improve the
> > page myself but most of my links have been removed following complaints to
> > admim by an anonymous, German-speaking, OCaml-using physicist with the IRC
> > nic "tf" and all of my corrections were removed by Mike Lin. My code examples
> > remain though.
>
> On Oct 26, 19:10, I put a note into the "talk" section of the OCaml
> wikipedia article, pointing out that it contained an excessively large
> amount of links to ffconsultancy.com, which were indeed entered by Jon
> Harrop, by now infamous also on Usenet.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:O%27Caml_programming_language&oldid=26550471
>
> To give an excerpt from the article as it was at that time:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ocaml&oldid=26478312
>
> Please note the number of ffconsultancy.com links:
>
> ====>
>
> Fun:

Several > href="/wiki/International_Conference_on_Functional_Programming_Contest"
> title="International Conference on Functional Programming
> Contest">International Conference on Functional Programming Contest
> winners

A 2D maze