* OCamlBuild + OCamlDoc is slooooow
@ 2009-03-10 22:23 David Rajchenbach-Teller
       [not found] ` <20090311073040.4fa2461d@alcazar.inria.fr>
From: David Rajchenbach-Teller @ 2009-03-10 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml; +Cc: Nicolas Pouillard

      Dear list,
 As a number of people on this list have noticed already, the
documentation generation of Batteries Included is awfully slow.
According to our experiments, this is due to the fact that the
combination of ocamlbuild and ocamldoc keeps loading stuff, marshalling
it to the disk and immediately unmarshalling. Alone, this unmarshalling
seems much more costly than all other operations together.

Which brings me to my question: is there a simple way of obtaining the
traditional behaviour of ocamldoc, without this wasteful partial
compilation?

Thanks,
 David

--
David Teller-Rajchenbach
 Security of Distributed Systems

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlBuild + OCamlDoc is slooooow
       [not found] ` <20090311073040.4fa2461d@alcazar.inria.fr>
@ 2009-03-11  7:40   ` David Rajchenbach-Teller
From: David Rajchenbach-Teller @ 2009-03-11  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxence Guesdon; +Cc: OCaml

I'm using ocamldoc, as I need a custom generator.

I've considered using ocamldoc.opt to generate the n first dumps and I
may do this, if I find out how to get OCamlBuild to do this. However,
the last load already takes something like 8 minutes, so that would not
solve all issues.

Thanks,
 David

--

@ 2009-03-11  7:46     ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2009-03-11  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rajchenbach-Teller; +Cc: OCaml

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:40:33 +0100
David Rajchenbach-Teller <David.Teller@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> I'm using ocamldoc, as I need a custom generator.
>
> I've considered using ocamldoc.opt to generate the n first dumps and I
> may do this, if I find out how to get OCamlBuild to do this. However,
> the last load already takes something like 8 minutes, so that would not
> solve all issues.

Ok. So you may be happy to learn that I just added the -g and -i options to
ocamldoc.opt in the trunk of ocaml repostiory (available within some
hours). You may give it a try and see if it reduces the computation to an
acceptable duration.

Regards,

--
Maxence Guesdon                           http://yquem.inria.fr/~guesdon/
Service Expérimentation et Développements https://devel.inria.fr/rocq/

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlBuild + OCamlDoc is slooooow
@ 2009-03-11  8:03       ` David Rajchenbach-Teller
From: David Rajchenbach-Teller @ 2009-03-11  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxence Guesdon; +Cc: OCaml

That's good news indeed. However, I'm afraid that since it's not yet
part of the OCaml distribution, and since we can't compile it without
the source of OCaml, we can't use it for the current release of
Batteries :(