* ocamlnet-3.0test1
@ 2009-11-13 20:51 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2009-11-13 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

A first testing version of Ocamlnet 3 has been released:
Ocamlnet-3.0test1 (download:
http://download.camlcity.org/download/ocamlnet-3.0test1.tar.gz)

The idea of this release is to make this version available to a larger
audience for testing, and to allow everybody to check whether code using
this library still works. It is not yet ready for production
environments.

List of major changes:

      * Port to Win32 (as outlined in the blog article
        http://blog.camlcity.org/blog/ocamlnet3_win32.html)
      * The new Rpc_proxy layer (as described in
        http://blog.camlcity.org/blog/ocamlnet3_ha.html)
      * Extensions of Netplex
      * New implementation of the Shell library for starting
        subprocesses
      * Uniform debugging with Netlog.Debug
      * Exception printers (Netexn)
      * Introduction of pollsets (Netsys_pollset); removal of
        Unix.select (i.e. more than 1024 file descriptors)
      * The netcgi1 library has been dropped in favor of netcgi2

There are also a lot of minor changes. Some of the changes are
incompatible with code written for Ocamlnet 2.

Testers are especially encouraged to check whether Ocamlnet 3 still
works on all platforms, because a lot of new platform-specific code has
been added. I mainly tested with Linux and the MinGW port for Win32.

The library is not yet available via GODI. I'm working on this.

More blog postings will follow describing the highlights.

Please report results to gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet-3.0test1
@ 2009-12-02 12:56 ` Rakotomandimby Mihamina
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina @ 2009-12-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

11/13/2009 11:51 PM, Gerd Stolpmann:
> A first testing version of Ocamlnet 3 has been released:
> Ocamlnet-3.0test1

Would you know if there is a schedule to make Ocamlnet NNTP capable?

                                    +261 33 11 207 36

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet-3.0test1
@ 2009-12-02 15:39   ` Erkki Seppala
From: Erkki Seppala @ 2009-12-02 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina@gulfsat.mg> writes:

> Would you know if there is a schedule to make Ocamlnet NNTP capable?

I don't, but perhaps this can be useful for you. I wrote it five years
ago and I think I've used it with some success, but no guarantees :).

  http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~flux/software/darcs/ocaml-nntp/

Word of warning: I just noticed that it uses the Str-module, so it is
likely that it isn't thread safe!

     / __// /__ ____  __               http://www.modeemi.fi/~flux/\   \
    / /_ / // // /\ \/ /                                            \  /
   /_/  /_/ \___/ /_/\_\@modeemi.fi                                  \/

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet-3.0test1
@ 2009-12-02 17:00     ` Rakotomandimby Mihamina
From: Rakotomandimby Mihamina @ 2009-12-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

12/02/2009 06:39 PM, Erkki Seppala:
>> Would you know if there is a schedule to make Ocamlnet NNTP capable?
> I don't, but perhaps this can be useful for you. I wrote it five years
> ago and I think I've used it with some success, but no guarantees :).
>    http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~flux/software/darcs/ocaml-nntp/
> Word of warning: I just noticed that it uses the Str-module, so it is
> likely that it isn't thread safe!

Yeah!
http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~flux/software/darcs/ocaml-nntp/nntp.mli
It seems to be simple to use, I will try it as soon as possible.

If some Ocamlnet contributor is in here, how much work would it represent
to try to merge it in Ocamlnet?

                                    +261 33 11 207 36