From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Till Crueger <Till.Crueger@gmx.net>
Cc: "caml-list@yquem.inria.fr" <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Problems with Godi and Expat under Lucid Lynx
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:35:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, den 01.07.2010, 11:34 +0200 schrieb Till Crueger:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to rebuild ocaml-expat in Godi after upgrading to Lucid Lynx
> and have encountered some problems. The build process in the Godi console
> fails with the message:
>
> > ===> expat not found
> >      Consider adding GODI_BASEPKG_EXPAT=yes to godi.conf
> > Error: Exec error: File
> > /opt/godi/build/conf/conf-expat/./../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk, line 1022:
> > Command returned with non-zero exit code
>
> I hade some look at the problem and found the following. The configure
> script from godi is trying to compile a small c-program to test for the
> existing of libexpat. The program compiles fine and even runs, when I
> execute it directly. However the directories do not match the patterns
> desired by the configure script.
>
> All development files are laid out in the following way under Lucid Lynx:
>
> Headers of expat in:
> /usr/lib/expat.h
>
> Libraries:
> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
> /lib/libexpat.so.1 -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
> /usr/lib/libexpat.a
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
>
> running ldd on the binary tells me, that the libexpat.so.1 from the
> directory /lib is used in this program. The script however expects the
> libdir to be /usr/lib (which would work with one of the links). Because of
> this mismatche it keeps on trying other directories and eventually fails.

Well, maybe it should also look into /lib when it finds the .h
in /usr/include.

> Any ideas on how to work around this in a simple way? Right now my
> solution will probably be to install an aditional copy of libexpat under
> /opt and use that one for ocaml. However I don't really want to keep
> duplicate packages around all the time, just to make it work.

Just configure it manually:

For the package conf-expat set the variables:

GODI_EXPAT_INCDIR = /usr/include
GODI_EXPAT_LIBDIR = /lib

(type 'c' to set this after going to the conf-expat package).

Gerd

> On the other hand I am not really happy with the way the expat binding
> works in Ocaml, so I might just switch to another XML parser for my code
> soon. Any good suggestions for a simple to use XML parser library for
> OCaml?
>
> Thanks,
>    Till

Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714