* [Caml-list] ocamlbuild, build a source that starts with _
@ 2016-02-09 13:35 Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2016-02-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hello,

It seems I can't convince ocamlbuild to build (i.e. copy) a source that starts with `_`.
Is there a workaround ?

  mkdir -p /tmp/test
  cd /tmp/test/
  touch _bla.c
  ocamlbuild _bla.c
  Solver failed:
  Ocamlbuild knows of no rules that apply to a target named _bla.c. This can happen if you    ask Ocamlbuild to build a target with the wrong extension (e.g. .opt instead of .native) or if the source files live in directories that have not been specified as include directories.
Compilation unsuccessful after building 0 targets (0 cached) in 00:00:00.

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild, build a source that starts with _
@ 2016-02-09 14:45 ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2016-02-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Le mardi, 9 février 2016 à 14:35, Daniel Bünzli a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> It seems I can't convince ocamlbuild to build (i.e. copy) a source that starts with `_`.
> Is there a workaround ?

I guess this must be due to this line (though I have to admit that I have hard time to understand ocamlbuild's convoluted control flow).

https://github.com/ocaml/ocamlbuild/blob/master/src/main.ml#L150

so the answer seems to be no, which is quite annoying.

@ 2016-02-09 14:47   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-02-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: OCaml List

Well, it is still possible to work around this issue by re-doing the
slurping from the plugin:

https://gitlab.com/gasche-snippets/ocamlbuild-underscored-files/blob/master/myocamlbuild.ml

I wouldn't mind removing that test from future ocamlbuild releases -- as of
now I don't see any problem with "_oasis" or other "_tags" file being
considered parts of the build tree.

@ 2016-02-09 15:06     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2016-02-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: OCaml List

Le mardi, 9 février 2016 à 15:47, Gabriel Scherer a écrit :

> https://gitlab.com/gasche-snippets/ocamlbuild-underscored-files/blob/master/myocamlbuild.ml

Thanks for the snippet, but... I'll find another work around.

> I wouldn't mind removing that test from future ocamlbuild releases -- as of now I don't see any problem with "_oasis" or other "_tags" file being considered parts of the build tree.
It's not only "_oasis" or "_tags" file it's *any* file that starts with a `_`, which is a bit dubious. I don't see any rationale behind this (and especially none behind ocamlbuild being made aware of _oasis files).

Best,

Daniel