From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Philippe Veber <philippe.veber@gmail.com>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Compiling the ocaml distribution under multiarched Debian/Ubuntu
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:25:17 +0100	[thread overview]

Am Freitag, den 13.01.2012, 12:59 +0100 schrieb Philippe Veber:
> Dear camlers,
>
> Debian and Ubuntu have not so recently switched to multiarch binaries
> (including libs, see http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation).
> This is an important change for ocaml C bindings since the libraries
> are now to be found in /usr/lib/<arch description> instead
> of /usr/lib. I was just bitten by this, when realizing that the ocaml
> configure script couldn't find libX11.so and wouldn't install
> graphics. A similar problem was handled by the people in charge of
> debian ocaml packages
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619344). Now my
> question is the following: will this evolution be a problem for
> GODI/odb packages (and more generally source distribution), and what
> is the advised fix for it?

Good question. For GODI it means that the automatic library search is
broken. You can set the library path in most cases manually, though. (So
far I overlook it, this is only a problem for the libs
the latter can be linked without -L switches.)

The question is how to generically work around this. GODI could provide
a variable $USR_LIB_ARCH for the architecture-specific path prefix
corresponding to /usr/lib/<arch>, which is set if "dpkg-architecture
-qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH" returns something. All the conf packages would
need to be updated. In the future we will have many errors because not
all package developers will test on multiarch-enabled systems.

Don't know what else needs to be done.

Gerd

> Cheers,
>   Philippe.

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
*** Searching for new projects! Need consulting for system
*** programming in Ocaml? Gerd Stolpmann can help you.