From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Samuel Hornus <samuel.hornus@inria.fr>
Cc: O Caml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: AW: [Caml-list] camlimages problems on mac
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:22:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 07.11.2012 15:04:51 schrieb(en) Samuel Hornus:
> On Nov7, 2012, at 14:20 , Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
> > Samuel Hornus <samuel.hornus@inria.fr> writes:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> When installing camlimages 4.0.1 with MacPort (Mac OS X 10.7.5,
> Latest MacPorts),
> >> the resulting camlimages has no support for JPEG, PNG, PPM, XPM,
> etc…
> >> which makes it sort of useless.
> > I just tried to configure it using godi, and this is what is
> supported
> > on my system:
> >
> > External libraries: lablgtk2 bmp ppm png jpeg tiff freetype(2) ps
> >
> > Most of my image libraries are installed through homebrew (I see for
> > instance "jpeg" or "libpng", I don't know where the ppm support
> comes
> > from).
> >
> > To get support for gifs, I installed giflib (still through
> homebrew).
> >
> > After doing this, camlimages seems to compile fine.
>
> The compilation goes without a hitch here as well (both using omake
> or macports), but the support for most of the image file formats are
> automatically disabled after examining the third-party' header files,
> so you get an OCaml exception at runtime. There is a piece of code
> (from camlimages) that dumps what is actually supported (see below).
> Does your camlimages actually has support for  jpeg or png ?
> Thank you Alan for your answer,
> Sam

I guess the reason Alan was successful is that the camlimages version
shipped with GODI is still 2.20 (plus patches). That's simply because
the build system uses omake since 4.0, and we haven't found time to
update and verify the package (which is a bit of work because of the
long list of external dependencies), and the differences between 2.20
and 4.0 are otherwise small.

Gerd

>  let capabilities () = let open Format in
>   let supported b = if b then "supported" else "not supported" in
>   printf "*******************************************************@.";
>   printf "Camlimages library capabilities currently available@.";
>   printf "bmp\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_bmp);
>   printf "ppm\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_ppm);
>   printf "gif\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_gif);
>   printf "jpeg\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_jpeg);
>   printf "tiff\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_tiff);
>   printf "png\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_png);
>   printf "xpm\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_xpm);
>   printf "xv thumbnails\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_xvthumb);
>   printf "postscript\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_ps);
>   printf "freetype\t: %s@." (supported Camlimages.lib_freetype);
>   printf "*******************************************************@.";;
>
> Mine shows:
> bmp	: supported
> ppm	: supported (* but crashes anyway: Fatal error: exception
> Images.Wrong_file_type *)
> gif	: not supported
> jpeg	: not supported
> tiff	: not supported
> png	: not supported
> xpm	: supported (* but crashes anyway: Fatal error: exception
> Images.Wrong_file_type *)
> xv thumbnails	: supported
> postscript	: supported
> freetype	: supported