From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Louis Gesbert <louis.gesbert@ocamlpro.com>
Cc: Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: AW: [Caml-list] geany as an ocaml ide
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:12:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

it is good to see that there is again some activity on the editor/ide
issue. However, I see that there is one main problem of all current
acitivities: nobody asks the potential users what they want.

Of course, there are many "preferences" in this area, and this is
subjective, and not really debatable. You can like the result or not.
But - and this is my point - there are also hard requirements. Again,
this is different per user, but these points are not a matter of taste.

Just to make an example: Personally, I'm still sticking to emacs
(although latest tuareg-mode is error-prone), mainly because it has one
killer feature: Tramp. You need to know that I'm often not building my
programs on the machine I'm sitting at, but I'm remotely logging in to
another machine (often over continents). Tramp is an emacs module to
edit files remotely via ssh/sftp.

My guess is that there are many other users who would profit from such
a feature. Nevertheless, it is not popping up anywhere else - strange
enough, since we left the "PC" era long ago where everything had to
happen locally on your own computer. The IDEs seem not to have left
this era, and in a time where everything moves to the cloud this is
really anachronistic.

It is clear to me that many features of IDEs are more difficult to
implement with such a requirement, as the latency to open files is way
higher. But on my side there is nothing to discuss, as remotely editing
files is more important than anything else.

Another point from the perspective of a professional: There is
absolutely no need to integrate build support into the IDE (like
OCamlEditor tries to do). We have already utilities for this, and these
are scriptable - which is a MUST-HAVE for all professional use (think
of continuous integration, for instance).

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.