From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com>
Cc: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: AW: AW: [Caml-list] OUD2013 part of CUFP?
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:54:38 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 03.04.2013 18:39:17 schrieb(en) Malcolm Matalka:
> OUD was part of CUFP last year, which is the Commercial part of ICFP.
> did not attend ICFP but just CUFP, and didn't find OUD or CUFP too
> academic.  Did you?

Can't tell about last year, but I visited both CUFP and OUD twice
(independently), and it was ok (well, I gave talks on OUD). But this is
not my point - I'm more worried about the audience the event attracts,
and also about the character in total. I mean it's a difference whether
you have an event of its own (even if small) or if it is part of a
larger conference, where you certainly also have visitors just seeking
entertainment for a bridge day.

You know I'm one of the guys who are always worried if the most
convenient path is taken.

Gerd

> [...]
> >> rituals.
> >>
> >> Nothing stops you from organising your own group, inviting people,
> >> reserving a building, sorting out registration, invoicing sponsors,
> >> organising local facilities and lunch, recording the talks, and
> >> uploading them online.  ICFP's "rituals" take care of all of that
> for
> >> us (Sylvain did a big job before).
> >
> > This is not meant with "rituals". The ritual is to visit ICFP every
> > year. The ritual is to publish a paper every year and to bore the
> > audience, as it happens often enough. This is acceptable as being
> part
> > of science, but I just have some doubts whether this is the right
> > environment for a users' meeting, especially if you also want to
> > address users outside universities and research institutes.
> >
> >> Your cathedral analogy also doesn't make any sense to me.  I like
> >> attending a few days in one go where I can interact with OCaml, ML,
> >> Haskell, Scheme, Erlang, and F# users at the same time, see talks
> >> from industrial users at CUFP, and enjoy hearing the excitement and
> >> wails of the emerging new languages being developed by the
> community.
> >
> > As an "industrial" user I am very interested into spreading out the
> > word to the masses. We have difficulties finding programmers, which
> is
> > no wonder if nobody (on the street) has ever heard of the language.
> > What we need are not further talks at scientific conferences, but at
> > events attended by more average people. That could e.g. be open
> source
> > conferences, hacker events, etc.
> >
> > I put "industrial" in quotes because there isn't an industry yet.
> The
> > companies using OCaml are doing this for very individual reasons,
> and
> > there is not much cooperation (so far I can see that).
> >
> > As you mention CUFP, this is a different type of thing. It's a
> > collection of success stories to encourage companies (and more
> > something for CTOs and chief architects).
> >
> >> The rotating locations also enables worldwide users to attend,
> >> instead of just European ones.  The ICFP/CUFP at Japan a few years
> >> ago represented a big jump in attendance from the Asian community.
> >> ICFP moves across Europe, Asia and the USA, which is difficult to
> >> arrange with a single user group.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, but a "travelling" conference has also many
> cons.
> > E.g. in general it is harder to plan the attendance (reserving time,
> > planning the costs, etc.), especially if the location is not at a
> > traffic hub.
> >
> >> Having said that, having more local meetups is a very positive
> thing.
> >> Ashish and Christophe have been tracking them here:
> >> http://ocaml.org/meetings.html
> >> Do get involved and set up your own.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm really doing enough for

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.