From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>
Cc: Martin Jambon <martin.jambon@ens-lyon.org>,
	"marius a. eriksen" <marius@twitter.com>,
	Amir M Chaudhry <amc79@cam.ac.uk>,
	Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr users" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: AW: [Caml-list] OUD2013 part of CUFP?
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 22:01:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 03.04.2013 20:33:17 schrieb(en) Anil Madhavapeddy:
> On 3 Apr 2013, at 11:02, Martin Jambon <martin.jambon@ens-lyon.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > "Spreading the word widely" doesn't happen like that - it's the
> core of the problem.
> >
> > In thought the goal was to raise awareness among professional
> software developers who might consider trying some more "functional"
> approaches to programming.
> > Pardon my cynicism, but this is different from a meeting whose goal
> is to show academics that their pet language was used by that one
> person in that big company and then pat each other on the back.
>
> Are you all in a bad mood today or something?

Come on, that's Martin's special humor.

> That's quite the mischaracterisation of CUFP. Let me sample some of
> the videos from the CUFP website (at http://cufp.org/videos)

In deed, this is all interesting and encouraging, and there is no
question that CUFP is an important event. For CUFP, I don't see any
problem of colocating it with ICFP. For the researchers this is, as
Martin points out in his special way, also a source of motivation. For
OUD, the topics are different, though - it's more practical problems,
questions of OCaml's roadmap, and generally more technical. So I'd make
there a difference.

Gerd

> * Scala at Twitter
> http://cufp.org/videos/scaling-scala-twitter-marius-eriksen-twitter
> * Facebook Chat in Erlang
> http://cufp.org/videos/functional-programming-facebook
> * Freebase and Metaweb in OCaml (now part of Google)
> http://cufp.org/videos/functional-programming-freebase-warren-harris-metaweb
> * Scheme for games development in Uncharted 3
> http://cufp.org/videos/functional-mzscheme-dsls-game-development
> * F# at Microsoft for biological computing
> http://cufp.org/videos/using-f-prove-stabilisation-biological-networks
> http://cufp.org/videos/f-embracing-functional-programming-visual-studio-2010-luke-hoban-mic
> * Big data at Nokia using Erlang/OCaml:
> http://cufp.org/videos/disco-using-erlang-implement-mapreduce
>
> And I haven't even mentioned our usual friends from Citrix or Jane
> Street:
> * http://cufp.org/videos/citrix-haskell-xenclient
> * http://cufp.org/videos/jane-street-status-report
>
> And many more, of varying size and impact: there's been an
> interesting evolution from the 'bedroom FP user' to large companies
> that use it without blinking an eye.  All of this has been tracked by
> CUFP over the years, although we unfortunately don't have videos from
> the earliest ones.
>
> Please do stop directing your ire at a workshop that has done its
> best to broaden the appeal of FP for nearly a decade now, and do
> start thinking about getting involved in the (many) open-source
> events that are out there these days.  Anyone can propose talks at
> places like Strange Loop and OSCON, and your travel and registration
> is often covered by the event organisers.
>
> -anil
> --

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.