From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Jun Furuse <jun.furuse@gmail.com>
Cc: Francois Berenger <berenger@riken.jp>, caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCamlOScope: a new OCaml API search
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 20:58:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Dienstag, den 09.07.2013, 00:06 +0800 schrieb Jun Furuse:
> Hi Francois,
>

> The ultimiate goal is to put all the available OPAM packages into the
> search DB, and update the DB regularly. But now it is far from it: 35
> OPAM packages.
>

> DB construction requires source code and bin-annot files (*.cmt and
> *.cmti) therefore the libraries must be get compiled. Since it is very
> hard to compile all the OPAM packages by one machine due to variety of
> architecture and dependent libraries, we will have to build a public
> repository of extracted portable DB files.

If you wanted to be 100% complete.

Look at docs.camlcity.org: This full-text search is for more than 200
GODI packages. While a full-text search has the advantage that it also
works for uncompiled sources, it nevertheless profits from build
information, and because of this, it is actually based on the output of
the GODI autobuilder. This is Linux-only (so far), but it was possible
to cover that many packages. Only very few packages do not run on Linux
or assume a special environment or libraries you cannot have on an
autobuilder box.

I'm wondering whether your type search could be made running on top of a
full-text search engine (basically, you can only search for words and
n-grams, and combine search results with set operators). That way you'd
get a very reasonable ranking.

Gerd

> Regards,
> Jun
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Francois Berenger <berenger@riken.jp>
> wrote:
>         On 07/05/2013 11:11 AM, Jun Furuse wrote:
>
>                 Hi list,
>
>                 I have launched a new OCaml API search, OCaml◎Scope at
>                 http://ocamloscope.herokuapp.com .
>

>         Thanks god! At last!
>
>         Just a quick question:
>         are all the packages available in OPAM automatically added to
>         ocamlscope
>         on a regular basis?
>
>         Thanks a lot for this extremely useful service,
>         F.

Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714