* Re: [Caml-list] Functional Reactive Programming in OCaml?
@ 2004-11-30  6:36 Gregoire Hamon
From: Gregoire Hamon @ 2004-11-30  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I'm sure that, like me, many of you have experienced language-envy
> when you've seen the very cool libraries for Functional Reactive
> Programming (Fran, Frob, Yampa, etc.) that have been implemented in
> the Haskell world.
>
> Has anybody tried to do something similar in OCaml?  At first sight,
> it does not seem trivial: the implementations of FRP that I've seen
> make good use of many of Haskell's special features -- laziness, type
> classes and qualified types, monads, etc...
>
> Thanks for any pointers,

you can look at Lucid Synchrone (http://www-spi.lip6.fr/lucid-synchrone/),
a functional language dedicated to reactive programming. The syntax is
OCaml's and the compiler produces OCaml code (combining both languages is
easy).

While being stream based, reactivity, which is ensured statically, allows
the compiler to produce purely sequential (strict) code.

You can write Fran-like code quite easily (I had some examples which I
can try to find if you're interested).

Gregoire.

* Functional Reactive Programming in OCaml?
@ 2004-11-29  0:44 Benjamin Pierce
From: Benjamin Pierce @ 2004-11-29  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm sure that, like me, many of you have experienced language-envy when you've seen the very cool libraries for Functional Reactive Programming (Fran, Frob, Yampa, etc.) that have been implemented in the Haskell world.

Has anybody tried to do something similar in OCaml?  At first sight, it does not seem trivial: the implementations of FRP that I've seen make good use of many of Haskell's special features -- laziness, type classes and qualified types, monads, etc...

Thanks for any pointers,

    - Benjamin

BENJAMIN C. PIERCE, Professor
Dept. of Computer & Information Science
University of Pennsylvania                                    +1 215 898-2012
3330 Walnut St.                                          Fax: +1 215 898-0587
Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA                http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce