From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Peter Zotov <whitequark@whitequark.org>
Cc: Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com>, caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ppx_protobuf
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 22:34:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Sonntag, den 04.05.2014, 12:55 +0400 schrieb Peter Zotov:
> On 2014-05-04 08:49, Malcolm Matalka wrote:
> > Not exactly. I don't mean I want a functor, I just used that style to
> > express that I think it would be best if these sort of things worked on
> > a module-to-module level rather than type.  That way I can separate out
> > the data type and it's business logic from its encoding/decoding logic.
> > I want to decouple a type definition from all of the transformations
> > that can be done on the type.  Everything an still happen at a
> > preprocessor point, but I just want it to happen on a module level.
>
> Still not a good idea. Consider the annotations like @key and @encoding:
> where would you specify them? If right on the type signature, then what
> is the point of separation?

Which just leads to the question why annotations are no real module
entities. We would need something like

module Foo = sig
  type t
  val set_x : t -> int -> t
  val get_x : t -> int
end

module Foo_protobuf_ann = sig
  import Foo
  annotate t [@@ whatever]
end

module Foo_protobuf = Protobuf.Make(Foo_protobuf_ann)

The "functor application" would still be fake, of course.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
My OCaml site:          http://www.camlcity.org