From: Leo White <leo@lpw25.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Record fields not reexported from functors.
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:24:54 -0400	[thread overview]

To expand slightly on Jacques' answer. Record fields (and variant
constructors) must be explicitly exported, using the:

type t = Foo.t = { bar : int }

syntax.

For example, the following version of your example works:

module type HasType = sig type t = { innerRecordField: int } end

module EchoModule (Input : HasType) : HasType with type t = Input.t =
struct type t = Input.t = {innerRecordField: int} end

module ClonedModuleWithRecordType = EchoModule(struct type t =
{innerRecordField: int} end)

let myRecord: ClonedModuleWithRecordType.t = {
ClonedModuleWithRecordType.innerRecordField=10; }

Of course, the `EchoModule` functor can now only operate on modules
where the type t is defined as:

type t = { innerRecordField : int }

Jacques' solution of giving the functor argument a name, and using that
name to access the field, is a much more flexible approach.

Regards,

Leo