* [Caml-list] Are implicit modules too implicit?
@ 2016-03-02 12:16 Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2016-03-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I would like to preface this with saying that I'm not a type theorist
nor do I understand implicit modules in their totality, my question is
really about software engineering.

I have read a good chunk of http://arxiv.org/pdf/1512.01895.pdf which is
linked to from Yaron's blog post on 4.03.

The concern I have reading it that it seems difficult to, without
exposing some resolution code from the compiler, determine which
implementation of an implicit module is being executed.  An implicit
module doesn't even have to specific which module type it is
implementing.  To me, this means going from a call-site, to the actual
implementation is very difficult especially since I cannot even do some
sort of grep to find all those things that implement an implicit module
type.

Is the outline of that paper still true?  Are my concerns justified or
addressed in planned released version?  Or am I missing something and my
concerns are unjustified?

Thanks,
/Malcolm