From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Pierre Chambart <pierre.chambart@laposte.net>
Cc: Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>, OCaml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] <DKIM> Re: Status of Flambda in OCaml 4.03
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 23:51:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag, den 10.03.2016, 21:12 +0100 schrieb Pierre Chambart:
> It is realistic when using the -Oclassic option that Mark mentioned.
> By default the flambda inlining heuristic is decided at call site. Hence
> all the information about a function needs to be available to correctly
> decide. That means that the size of the cmx file is approximatively
> linearly related to the .o file size. It is not easy to decide that some
> function will never be inlined, so the information is always kept,
> even on function annotated with [@inline never].

This assumes that the user is fine with an unlimited code size blow-up.
So, to make an example, when you have

let f() =
  if <expr1> then <short-expr2> else <very-long-expr3>

there is the chance that the "if-then" part can be inlined and leads to
a speed-up at the price that the unproductive "else" part is also
inlined. In total, there is a good chance that you see some
acceleration. However, the question is whether the code duplication is
acceptable or not. I guess, you need to also draw a line at the callee
site, and disregard functions that are too large in total (though this
limit can be way higher than the limit for "classic" inlining).

Surely this will also limit the cmx size somewhat.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
My OCaml site:          http://www.camlcity.org