From: Fabrice Le Fessant <fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: RE: OCaml on CLR/JVM?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:46:14 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Is the .NET VM open source ? Which part is Microsoft-independent ?

After loosing progressively some parts of the OS market, is Microsoft
 trying to conquer the VM market ? Why should all software developers
 always depend on some Microsoft software ? Before it was the OS. But
 now, many languages are OS independent ... And now, they want to
 capture the market again, through the .NET VM ?

Ocaml is not a _hack_, as I have read in some recent mails, but a
_good_ independent language. It should not change to follow a
commercial standart, which will itself change for commercial
reasons, as soon as the market is captured ...

If Microsoft wants its new product to be used, it is Microsoft problem
to port more languages to its VM, and not only say: "We have ported
our homemade languages to it (C#, C++, VB.NET) [because it was
designed for them], so, you see, we have proved it's the universal
VM. Now, do the same for your languages, or your language will not be
used anymore by our customers..."

So, why do we really need a .NET port of OCaml ? OCaml is working fine on
Windows, and on many other OS ...

- Fabrice