From: Fabrice Le Fessant <fabrice.le_fessant@inria.fr>
To: Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] create a closure in external C function?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:50:10 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

What you can do is create the closure in ML, and call a C stub inside
this closure that will call your C function. I tried to implement what
you were asking for (i.e. dlsym in Caml), but the main problem is
building an arbitrary frame for the C call from the argument types.

An example:

I finally had a C function receiving three arguments. This function is
called from a ML closure used as a stub for the function received by
dlsym. "ml_call_1" is called with the C function as first parameter,
a list of types as second parameter, and the argument as last parameter.

value ml_ccall_1(value f_v, value types_v, value arg1_v)
{

}

My problem is: how to call the function f_v, using the types in
types_v (either integer, char, string or double) to build the call,
and using arg1_v (translated using its type) as argument.

Of course, I can implement this easily on my PC, but I don't know any
way to implement such a function in an architecture-independant way...

- Fabrice

PS: I can give you the code I have already written for building the
closure, and so on if you are interested... but I'm stuck on this
function !