* [Caml-list] New CDK documentation
@ 2001-05-22  9:15 Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-05-22  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

After the discussion on which format should be used for the CDK, we
implemented a new version of cdk_doc generating texinfo files. The
results (DVI, Postscript, Info, HTML and PDF) can be seen on:

   http://pauillac.inria.fr/cdk/newdoc

We are now waiting for your opinions ...

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] New CDK documentation
@ 2001-05-22 11:49 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-05-22 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
> After the discussion on which format should be used for the CDK, we
> implemented a new version of cdk_doc generating texinfo files. The
> results (DVI, Postscript, Info, HTML and PDF) can be seen on:

The set of target formats is sufficiently large with this option, and
output looks reasonably nice. The power of texinfo is probably high enough
to cover around 99% of all uses. It's not clear that the remaining 1%
should actually be written as interface documentation anyway: seperately
written Latex-documentation might be the better choice then.

I think I could live with this option, but before I adopt it, I'd really
want to make sure that it has a chance of becoming "the" standard. I
already suffer enough when I have to write documentation once. Having to
do this even more often due to shifting standards would ruin my life... ;)

Any chance that we could jointly agree on this?

Best regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl, mottl@miss.wu-wien.ac.at, http://miss.wu-wien.ac.at/~mottl

* Re: [Caml-list] New CDK documentation
@ 2001-05-22 15:22   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2001-05-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

Texinfo is only the <target> format of cdk_doc. The .mli files can be
written in another language, and then translated to texinfo. In
particular, .mli files written in the Ocaml stdlib format are
corrrectly translated to texinfo by cdk_doc( [open] becomes
@code{open}, etc..). Texinfo allows <iftex ... end iftex> sequence to
improve the documentation for paper files (you can run tex on the
.texi files). There is also a LaTeX-info package, I think (you can run
latex on these files).

- Fabrice