* Re: [Caml-list] mutability analysis too strict?
@ 2001-12-10 10:13 Ohad Rodeh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2001-12-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Sent by:     owner-caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr

> To: caml-list@inria.fr
> cc:
> Subject:     Re: [Caml-list] mutability analysis too strict?

> "Ohad Rodeh" <ORODEH@il.ibm.com> writes:

> > First of all, sorry my mail was sent twice, this was due to mail
delivery
> > problems
> > from my site.
> >
> > Perhaps I was not specific enough about what I wanted to acheive. What
> > need
> > is a repository that has the following interface:
> >
> > module type Repos = sig
> >   val put : 'a -> 'b -> unit
> >   val get : 'a -> 'b
> > end
> >
> > An  implementation that looks like this:
> >
> > module S : Repos = struct
> >    let h = Hashtbl.create 10
> >    let put key data = Hashtbl.add h key data
> >    let get key = Hashtbl.find h key
> > end
> >
> > Does not work. Compilation error:
> >
> > Signature mismatch:
> > Modules do not match:
> >   sig
> >     val h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t
> >     val put : '_a -> '_b -> unit
> >     val get : '_a -> '_b
> >   end
> > is not included in
> >   Repos
> > Values do not match:
> >   val put : '_a -> '_b -> unit
> > is not included in
> >   val put : 'a -> 'b -> unit
> >
> > I tried also using the Map and Set modules, but they don't really allow
> > building
> > a repository of immutable values either. Is there any deep reason for
this
> > behavior? Could you expound on this line:
> >
> > > A monomorphic, mutable
> > > structure that contains polymorphic data is sound, but cannot be
> > expressed
> > > in ML's type system where universal quantification must be prenex.
> >
> > Ohad.

Remi VANICAT <vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr>@pauillac.inria.fr on 10/12/2001
11:28:42

> it's dangerous. Imagine you can do :
>
> put 2 "xd"
>
> what will be the type of :
>
> get 2
>
> how the type inference algorithm can know that it is a string ? it
> can't because you can do something like :
>
> if x < y then put 2 "xd"
> else put 2 5
>
> and then, the type of get 2 wil be string or int depending on the fact
> that x was less than y or not.

Well, that's a strong argument ...

How do you propose building a repository of polymorphic values then?

     Ohad.

* Re: [Caml-list] mutability analysis too strict?
@ 2001-12-10  9:12 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2001-12-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois.Pottier; +Cc: caml-list

First of all, sorry my mail was sent twice, this was due to mail delivery
problems
from my site.

Perhaps I was not specific enough about what I wanted to acheive. What I
need
is a repository that has the following interface:

module type Repos = sig
  val put : 'a -> 'b -> unit
  val get : 'a -> 'b
end

An  implementation that looks like this:

module S : Repos = struct
   let h = Hashtbl.create 10
   let put key data = Hashtbl.add h key data
   let get key = Hashtbl.find h key
end

Does not work. Compilation error:

Signature mismatch:
Modules do not match:
  sig
    val h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t
    val put : '_a -> '_b -> unit
    val get : '_a -> '_b
  end
is not included in
  Repos
Values do not match:
  val put : '_a -> '_b -> unit
is not included in
  val put : 'a -> 'b -> unit

I tried also using the Map and Set modules, but they don't really allow
building
a repository of immutable values either. Is there any deep reason for this
behavior? Could you expound on this line:

> A monomorphic, mutable
> structure that contains polymorphic data is sound, but cannot be
expressed
> in ML's type system where universal quantification must be prenex.

Ohad.

Francois Pottier <francois.pottier@inria.fr>@pauillac.inria.fr on
10/12/2001 10:13:31

Please respond to Francois.Pottier@inria.fr

Sent by:  owner-caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr

To:   Ohad Rodeh/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:   caml-list@inria.fr
Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] mutability analysis too strict?

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 05:43:41PM +0200, Ohad Rodeh wrote:

>       let h = Hashtbl.create 10;;
>       h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t
>
> The objects and keys in the table are infered to be mutable. However,
> in my case, they are immutable and I have to coerce them using Obj.magic
> from '_b to 'b.

You are slightly wrong here: the analysis infers the table itself (not the
keys or objects in it) to be mutable, which it indeed is. If the table was
given a polymorphic type, you would be able to store objects of a certain
type and to retrieve them at another type (by taking different instances of
'b), which would be unsound.

Furthermore, I'm surprised to hear that using Obj.magic helps; indeed, any
application of Obj.magic is itself deemed `dangerous' by O'Caml, leading
to the following behavior:

  # let h = Hashtbl.create 10;;
  val h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t = <abstr>
  # let h = (Obj.magic h : ('a, 'b) Hashtbl.t);;
  val h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t = <abstr>

That is, Obj.magic doesn't help at all in this case.

Perhaps you could tell us what you are trying to achieve? Any polymorphic,
mutable structure is unsound and rightly rejected. A monomorphic, mutable

--
François Pottier
Francois.Pottier@inria.fr

* [Caml-list] mutability analysis too strict?
@ 2001-12-09 15:43 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2001-12-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

List,
   I have a problem with hashtable mutability analysis. For example:

      let h = Hashtbl.create 10;;
      h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t

The objects and keys in the table are infered to be mutable. However,
in my case, they are immutable and I have to coerce them using Obj.magic
from
'_b to 'b.

Can this be fixed? why is the analysis so restrictive?

     Ohad.

* [Caml-list] Mutability analysis too strict?
@ 2001-12-09 12:14 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2001-12-09 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

List,
   I have a problem with the mutability analysis for hash-tables.
For example:
     let h = Hashtbl.create 10 ;;
creates:
     h : ('_a, '_b) Hashtbl.t
instead of:
     h ('a, 'b) Hashtbl.t

My specific hashtable contains immutable objects that can be added
and removed to the table.  The default analysis is too strict, forcing me
to use Obj.magic for coercion ('_b -> 'b). This is safe in this case,
because I know
the objects are immutable. However, in the general case, I don't see
why it is neccessary.

 Anyone cares to explain?

     Ohad.