* [Caml-list] Wich solution for a fast powerfull drawing area ?
@ 2002-07-09 20:40 Matthieu Dubuget
From: Matthieu Dubuget @ 2002-07-09 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm looking at ocaml as the language to make ultrasonic programs.
The difficult part for me is the scientific imaging.
I will have to show waveforms (typically 1024 points long) and colormaps
(1024 * 100 * 256 levels of color for example) at comfortable
speed (I mean more than 20 Hz).

I tried to use lablgtk and camlimage starting from the examples, but
didn't achieve to get a area in wich I can draw all what I want...
Starting from the lablgtk drawing.ml example, I was not able to
chose/create RGB colors. My feeling is that there is something to do
to have the right colormap or extend it ?

I would appreciate any suggestion to progress.

I would need:
* to be able to draw and change the colors,
* a very nice point would be to have transparency, in order to be able
  to implement layers in graphical widgets (composite widgets in ocaml,
  or gtk widget in C + binding ?)
* the ability to manipulate some decorations on the graphic with the
  mouse (event handling)
* and certainly a lot more...

Well, all this is not so far from the canvas widget (Tk, Gnome).

Thanks in advance

Matthieu Dubuget

* Re: [Caml-list] Wich solution for a fast powerfull drawing area ?
@ 2002-07-10  7:41 ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2002-07-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthieu.dubuget; +Cc: caml-list

Matthieu Dubuget writes:

 > I'm looking at ocaml as the language to make ultrasonic programs.
 > The difficult part for me is the scientific imaging.
 > I will have to show waveforms (typically 1024 points long) and colormaps
 > (1024 * 100 * 256 levels of color for example) at comfortable
 > speed (I mean more than 20 Hz).

You may  have a  look at the  SDL library  (http://www.libsdl.org/), a
powerful  cross-platform  2D   graphics  library.  Many  Linux  games,
including commercial ones, use this library.

There are (at least) two ocaml interfaces for this library:

 - one I did some time ago, no more developped, but suitable for
   relatively simple programs;
   see http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/ftp/ocaml/ocamlsdl/

 - another on SourceForge, probably much more developped than mine;
   see http://ocamlsdl.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps,
--
Jean-Christophe Filliâtre (http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr)