From: Brian Rogoff <bpr@artisan.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Cc: skaller@ozemail.com.au
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] sorting Hashtbl.t
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:47:37 -0700	[thread overview]

Brian Rogoff writes:
> John Max Skaller writes:
> > > 	From an algorithmic point of view, there is no way to sort an
> > > hash table since there is no order attached to items.
> [...snip extended Hashtbl interface ...]
> > Of course I can write this
> > function myself, it's just inconvenient to have to
> > keep doing so.

Sorry to follow up on my own message, but there is a way to do this kind of
extension exactly once with only a tiny bit of clunkiness that I had missed
when I wrote the original flawed approach yesterday. So, I still disagree
that we need to provide module interfaces for things like hash tables,
though it's probably no harm to do so if lots of people agree that such
functions do belong in a basic interface. Thanks for making me think about
this!

First, we create an extra signature in either the .ml and .mli files or in
a third (.mli) file, like so

(* hashtbl_sig.mli *)
module type S =
  sig
    type ('a, 'b) t = ('a, 'b) Hashtbl.t
    val create : int -> ('a, 'b) t
    val clear : ('a, 'b) t -> unit
    val add : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> 'b -> unit
    val copy : ('a, 'b) t -> ('a, 'b) t
    val find : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> 'b
    val find_all : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> 'b list
    val mem : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> bool
    val remove : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> unit
    val replace : ('a, 'b) t -> 'a -> 'b -> unit
    val iter : ('a -> 'b -> unit) -> ('a, 'b) t -> unit
    val fold : ('a -> 'b -> 'c -> 'c) -> ('a, 'b) t -> 'c -> 'c
  end

this signature exists just to remove the offending Make from the include,
and to create the type equality. The rest is easy

(* exthash.mli *)
include Hashtbl_sig.S (* Remove the functorial interface *)

(* Module extension part *)
val elements : ('a, 'b) t -> 'b list

module type S =
  sig
    include Hashtbl.S
    val elements : 'a t -> 'a list
  end

module Make (H : Hashtbl.HashedType) : S with type key = H.t

(* exthash.ml *)
include (Hashtbl : Hashtbl_sig.S)

let elements ht =
  let r = ref [] in
  (Hashtbl.iter (fun _ y -> r := y::(!r)) ht; !r)

module type S =
  sig
    include Hashtbl.S
    val elements : 'a t -> 'a list
  end

module Make (H : Hashtbl.HashedType) : S with type key = H.t =
  struct
    module Hashtbl =  Hashtbl.Make(H)
    include Hashtbl
    let elements ht =
      let r = ref [] in
      (Hashtbl.iter (fun _ y -> r := y::(!r)) ht; !r)
  end

-- Brian