From: Tom Hirschowitz <tom.hirschowitz@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Forward references
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:46:04 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Brian,

in your example, the current structure of types would not allow
to express how Set.Make uses its arguments.
Nothing ensures you that the body of Set.Make does not make use
of cmp.

It is in fact exactly the same problem for the right-hand sizes
of let rec, as in

let rec f x y = compare (x, y) (y, x)
and     u = A.g f 1 2

One could imagine a type system telling you whether A.g inspects
the value of its arguments or not (in fact Xavier and I did imagine
such a type system, article is on our web pages).
But without this, A.g could apply f, which would make the computation
go wrong.

This said, even in the context of a type system where those dependency
problems are solved, it is not trivial that types do not cause new
problems.  We don't think so but are not sure. I tried to formalize
this idea and implemented an early prototype type-checker for caml
with mixin modules, which used this idea. My conclusion was that the
theory was in to early stage for a prototype to be really significant.