* Debugging a C / Ocaml interface problem
@ 2009-02-19 17:18 John Whitington
From: John Whitington @ 2009-02-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Folks,

I'm interfacing our Ocaml PDF stuff to C (threads passim), so main
programs in C can use the tools.

Here's a bug which I can't track down. A value somewhere in the (pure)
caml code is changing from one type constructor to another, breaking
the code. So some tag in a block is being trampled on?

I've gone through all the rules in the manual, and can't find anything
wrong.

The minimal broken main C program:

caml_startup(argv);
int hello3 = fromFile("hello.pdf");
removeAttachedFiles(hello3);
char data[] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0};
setMetadataFromByteArray(hello3, data, 10);

Here are those functions:

int fromFile(char* filename)
{
   return(Int_val(caml_callback(*caml_named_value("fromFile"),
caml_copy_string(filename))));
}

void removeAttachedFiles(int pdf)
{
   caml_callback(*caml_named_value("removeAttachedFiles"),
Val_int(pdf));
   return;
}

void setMetadataFromByteArray(int pdf, char* data, int len)
{
   CAMLparam0 ();
   CAMLlocal1 (bytestream);
   bytestream = alloc_bigarray_dims(BIGARRAY_UINT8 |
BIGARRAY_C_LAYOUT, 1, data, len);
   caml_callback2(*caml_named_value("setMetadataFromByteArray"),
Val_int(pdf), bytestream);
   CAMLreturn0;
}

And here are the types of the caml functions called by those C
functions:

val fromFile : string -> int

val removeAttachedFiles : int -> unit

val setMetadataFromByteArray : int -> (int,
Bigarray.int8_unsigned_elt, Bigarray.c_layout) Bigarray.Array1.t -> unit

All the functions work ok in other circumstances (i.e not in this
combination).

The failure occurs inside the Caml function setMetadataFromByteArray -
Pdf.Indirect 27 is changing to Pdf.Integer 27 (Pdf.Indirect and
Pdf.Integer are two constructors of the same type).

Can anyone spot anything wrong in the above? Something Bigarray-
related perhaps?

Any suggestions as to how I might go about further debugging this?

With Thanks,

--
John Whitington
Coherent Graphics Ltd