From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] teaching Caml as a first language
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:06:42 +0100	[thread overview]

    Vee> Hello, I 'm interested in using Caml as the first language to
    Vee> teach student.  What is your opinion? Is there any place use
    Vee> Caml as the first language in programming course.

CamlLight and Ocaml are already used at many places as a first
language. In particular in France in many classes préparatoires
(approximately college or Bachelor degree); and also in several US (&
European) universities.

I'm not a teacher, but I am sure you'll get lots of positive replies.

I would suggest (if possible) to use a Unix (or Linux) system to teach
a programming course. Two major reasons are: the Unix programming
environrment (in particular with Emacs and the Ocaml debugger) is
better for Ocaml than Windows, and also teaching rudiment of Unix in
programming courses always help (in particular to tell students that
there are several operating systems).

The Caml site gives several books (english, french, german) used in
teaching programming with Caml.

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net