On Oct 24, 2007, at 15:29, Adrien wrote: > 2007/10/24, Xavier Leroy : > >> Then someone told me that the Playstation 3 is a PPC64/Linux >> platform... I'm still not quite sure whether having OCaml on >> PPC64/Linux is worth the effort, even if we had the corresponding >> hardware. > > PlayStation3's processor (the Cell) has some parenty with powerpc > but it mostly has differences (cell is a ppc6). It has many cores > and in fact a variable number of more-or-less specialized cores. > It's a sort of revolution because its SMP capabilities are really > different from thos of a Core2Duo or of an Athlon64X2. I think > there is at least a theorical interest as it seems to perfectly fit > simultaneous processing (but maybe not so close). The SPUs are quite unique, but the PPU (the likely target of an Ocaml implementation) is a fairly ordinary PowerPC. — Gordon