* [Caml-list] Recursive types and functors.
@ 2003-03-26  6:28 David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2003-03-26  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I have a recursive type where I'd like one of the constructors of the
type to contain a set of the type (or something like set).  However, I
can't figure out how to represent this.

For example:

type foo =
  | Integer of int
  | String of string
  | Set of FooSet

module FooSet = Set.Make (struct type t = foo let compare = compare end)

but this obviously doesn't work.

I suspect putting type foo in a functor can somehow make it work, but I
haven't quite figure out how to do it.

Thanks,
Dave Brown

* Re: [Caml-list] Recursive types and functors.
@ 2003-03-26  8:25 ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2003-03-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown; +Cc: Caml List

[-- Attachment #1: message body and .signature --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3096 bytes --]

David Brown writes:
 > I have a recursive type where I'd like one of the constructors of the
 > type to contain a set of the type (or something like set).  However, I
 > can't figure out how to represent this.
 >
 > For example:
 >
 > type foo =
 >   | Integer of int
 >   | String of string
 >   | Set of FooSet
 >
 > module FooSet = Set.Make (struct type t = foo let compare = compare end)
 >
 > but this obviously doesn't work.

I'm pretty  sure this has already  been discussed on this  list, but I
couldn't find the related thread in the archives...

A (too) naive solution could be  to make a polymorphic instance of the
Set module (either  by adding an argument 'a  everywhere in signatures
OrderedType  and S,  or  by  copying the  functor  body and  replacing
Ord.compare by compare); then you have polymorphic sets, say 'a Set.t,
balanced using compare, and you can define

	type foo = Integer of int | ... | Set of foo Set.t

Unfortunately this  doesn't work because sets  themselves shouldn't be
compared with  compare, but with  Set.compare (see set.mli).  And then
you  point out  the  main  difficulty: comparing  values  in type  foo
requires  to  be able  to  compare sets  of  foo,  and comparing  sets
requires to *implement* sets and thus to compare values in foo.

Fortunately, there  is another solution  (though a bit  more complex).
First  we  define  a  more  generic  type 'a  foo  where  'a  will  be
substituted later by sets of foo:

	type 'a foo = Integer of int | ... | Set of 'a

Then we implement a variant  of module Set which implements sets given
the following signature:

	module type OrderedType =
	sig
	  type 'a t
	  val compare: ('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a t -> 'a t -> int
	end

that is where elements are in  the polymorphic type 'a t and where the
comparison function depends on  a comparison function for arguments in
'a (which will represent the  sets, in fine). The functor implements a
type t for  sets using balanced trees, as usual,  and defines the type
of elements elt to be t Ord.t:

	module Make(Ord: OrderedType) =
	  struct
	    type elt = t Ord.t
	    and t = Empty | Node of t * elt * t * int

Right  after, it  implements comparison  over elements  and sets  in a
mutually recursive way:

	let rec compare_elt x y =
	  Ord.compare compare x y

	and compare = ... (usual comparison of sets, using compare_elt)

The remaining  of the  functor is  exactly the same  as for  Set, with
compare_elt used  instead of Ord.compare. I  attach the implementation
of this module.

There  is (at  least) another  solution: to  use a  set implementation
where comparison  does not require  a comparison of elements.  This is
possible if, for instance, you are performing hash-consing on type foo
(which result  in tagging foo values  with integers, then  used in the
comparison). This  solution is used in Claude  Marché's regexp library
(http://www.lri.fr/~marche/regexp/) and  uses a hash-consing technique
available here: http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/software.en.html

Hope this helps,
--
Jean-Christophe Filliâtre (http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr)

[-- Attachment #2: mset.mli --]

(***********************************************************************)
(*                                                                     *)
(*                           Objective Caml                            *)
(*                                                                     *)
(*            Xavier Leroy, projet Cristal, INRIA Rocquencourt         *)
(*                                                                     *)
(*  Copyright 1996 Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et   *)
(*  en Automatique.  All rights reserved.  This file is distributed    *)
(*  under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License.         *)
(*                                                                     *)
(***********************************************************************)

(* $Id: pset.mli,v 1.2 2002/02/22 15:54:43 filliatr Exp $ *)

(* Module [Mset]: variant of module [Set] to build a type and sets of
   elements in this type in a mutually recursive way. *)

module type OrderedType =
  sig
    type 'a t
    val compare: ('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a t -> 'a t -> int
  end
          (* The input signature of the functor [Mset.Make].
             ['a t] is the type of the set elements where ['a] will be
	     substituted by the type for sets of such elements.
             [compare] is a total ordering function over the set elements,
	     given a total ordering function over sets. *)

module Make(Ord: OrderedType):
        (* Functor building an implementation of the set structure *)
  sig
    type t
          (* The type of sets. *)
    type elt = t Ord.t
          (* The type of the set elements. *)
    val empty: t
          (* The empty set. *)
    val is_empty: t -> bool
        (* Test whether a set is empty or not. *)
    val mem: elt -> t -> bool
        (* [mem x s] tests whether [x] belongs to the set [s]. *)
    val add: elt -> t -> t
        (* [add x s] returns a set containing all elements of [s],
           plus [x]. If [x] was already in [s], [s] is returned unchanged. *)
    val singleton: elt -> t
        (* [singleton x] returns the one-element set containing only [x]. *)
    val remove: elt -> t -> t
        (* [remove x s] returns a set containing all elements of [s],
           except [x]. If [x] was not in [s], [s] is returned unchanged. *)
    val union: t -> t -> t
    val inter: t -> t -> t
    val diff: t -> t -> t
        (* Union, intersection and set difference. *)
    val compare_elt: elt -> elt -> int
	(* Total ordering between elements. *)
    val compare: t -> t -> int
        (* Total ordering between sets. Can be used as the ordering function
           for doing sets of sets. *)
    val equal: t -> t -> bool
        (* [equal s1 s2] tests whether the sets [s1] and [s2] are
           equal, that is, contain equal elements. *)
    val subset: t -> t -> bool
        (* [subset s1 s2] tests whether the set [s1] is a subset of
           the set [s2]. *)
    val iter: (elt -> unit) -> t -> unit
        (* [iter f s] applies [f] in turn to all elements of [s].
           The order in which the elements of [s] are presented to [f]
           is unspecified. *)
    val fold: (elt -> 'b -> 'b) -> t -> 'b -> 'b
        (* [fold f s a] computes [(f xN ... (f x2 (f x1 a))...)],
           where [x1 ... xN] are the elements of [s].
           The order in which elements of [s] are presented to [f] is
           unspecified. *)
    val for_all: (elt -> bool) -> t -> bool
        (* [for_all p s] checks if all elements of the set
           satisfy the predicate [p]. *)
    val exists: (elt -> bool) -> t -> bool
        (* [exists p s] checks if at least one element of
           the set satisfies the predicate [p]. *)
    val filter: (elt -> bool) -> t -> t
        (* [filter p s] returns the set of all elements in [s]
           that satisfy predicate [p]. *)
    val partition: (elt -> bool) -> t -> t * t
        (* [partition p s] returns a pair of sets [(s1, s2)], where
           [s1] is the set of all the elements of [s] that satisfy the
           predicate [p], and [s2] is the set of all the elements of
           [s] that do not satisfy [p]. *)
    val cardinal: t -> int
        (* Return the number of elements of a set. *)
    val elements: t -> elt list
        (* Return the list of all elements of the given set.
           The returned list is sorted in increasing order with respect
           to the ordering [Ord.compare], where [Ord] is the argument
           given to [Set.Make]. *)
    val min_elt: t -> elt
        (* Return the smallest element of the given set
           (with respect to the [Ord.compare] ordering), or raise
           [Not_found] if the set is empty. *)
    val max_elt: t -> elt
        (* Same as [min_elt], but returns the largest element of the
           given set. *)
    val choose: t -> elt
        (* Return one element of the given set, or raise [Not_found] if
           the set is empty. Which element is chosen is unspecified,
           but equal elements will be chosen for equal sets. *)
  end

[-- Attachment #3: mset.ml --]

(***********************************************************************)
(*                                                                     *)
(*                           Objective Caml                            *)
(*                                                                     *)
(*            Xavier Leroy, projet Cristal, INRIA Rocquencourt         *)
(*                                                                     *)
(*  Copyright 1996 Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et   *)
(*  en Automatique.  All rights reserved.  This file is distributed    *)
(*  under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License.         *)
(*                                                                     *)
(***********************************************************************)

(* $Id: pset.ml,v 1.1 2000/07/07 16:13:17 filliatr Exp $ *)

(* Sets over ordered types *)

module type OrderedType =
  sig
    type 'a t
    val compare: ('a -> 'a -> int) -> 'a t -> 'a t -> int
  end

module type S =
  sig
    type elt
    type t
    val empty: t
    val is_empty: t -> bool
    val mem: elt -> t -> bool
    val add: elt -> t -> t
    val singleton: elt -> t
    val remove: elt -> t -> t
    val union: t -> t -> t
    val inter: t -> t -> t
    val diff: t -> t -> t
    val compare_elt : elt -> elt -> int
    val compare: t -> t -> int
    val equal: t -> t -> bool
    val subset: t -> t -> bool
    val iter: (elt -> unit) -> t -> unit
    val fold: (elt -> 'b -> 'b) -> t -> 'b -> 'b
    val for_all: (elt -> bool) -> t -> bool
    val exists: (elt -> bool) -> t -> bool
    val filter: (elt -> bool) -> t -> t
    val partition: (elt -> bool) -> t -> t * t
    val cardinal: t -> int
    val elements: t -> elt list
    val min_elt: t -> elt
    val max_elt: t -> elt
    val choose: t -> elt
  end

module Make(Ord: OrderedType) =
  struct
    type elt = t Ord.t
    and t = Empty | Node of t * elt * t * int

    let rec compare_elt x y =
      Ord.compare compare x y

    and compare_aux l1 l2 =
        match (l1, l2) with
        ([], []) -> 0
      | ([], _)  -> -1
      | (_, []) -> 1
      | (Empty :: t1, Empty :: t2) ->
          compare_aux t1 t2
      | (Node(Empty, v1, r1, _) :: t1, Node(Empty, v2, r2, _) :: t2) ->
          let c = compare_elt v1 v2 in
          if c <> 0 then c else compare_aux (r1::t1) (r2::t2)
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, _) :: t1, t2) ->
          compare_aux (l1 :: Node(Empty, v1, r1, 0) :: t1) t2
      | (t1, Node(l2, v2, r2, _) :: t2) ->
          compare_aux t1 (l2 :: Node(Empty, v2, r2, 0) :: t2)

    and compare s1 s2 =
      compare_aux [s1] [s2]

    (* Sets are represented by balanced binary trees (the heights of the
       children differ by at most 2 *)

    let height = function
        Empty -> 0
      | Node(_, _, _, h) -> h

    (* Creates a new node with left son l, value x and right son r.
       l and r must be balanced and | height l - height r | <= 2.
       Inline expansion of height for better speed. *)

    let create l x r =
      let hl = match l with Empty -> 0 | Node(_,_,_,h) -> h in
      let hr = match r with Empty -> 0 | Node(_,_,_,h) -> h in
      Node(l, x, r, (if hl >= hr then hl + 1 else hr + 1))

    (* Same as create, but performs one step of rebalancing if necessary.
       Assumes l and r balanced.
       Inline expansion of create for better speed in the most frequent case
       where no rebalancing is required. *)

    let bal l x r =
      let hl = match l with Empty -> 0 | Node(_,_,_,h) -> h in
      let hr = match r with Empty -> 0 | Node(_,_,_,h) -> h in
      if hl > hr + 2 then begin
        match l with
          Empty -> invalid_arg "Set.bal"
        | Node(ll, lv, lr, _) ->
            if height ll >= height lr then
              create ll lv (create lr x r)
            else begin
              match lr with
                Empty -> invalid_arg "Set.bal"
              | Node(lrl, lrv, lrr, _)->
                  create (create ll lv lrl) lrv (create lrr x r)
            end
      end else if hr > hl + 2 then begin
        match r with
          Empty -> invalid_arg "Set.bal"
        | Node(rl, rv, rr, _) ->
            if height rr >= height rl then
              create (create l x rl) rv rr
            else begin
              match rl with
                Empty -> invalid_arg "Set.bal"
              | Node(rll, rlv, rlr, _) ->
                  create (create l x rll) rlv (create rlr rv rr)
            end
      end else
        Node(l, x, r, (if hl >= hr then hl + 1 else hr + 1))

    (* Same as bal, but repeat rebalancing until the final result
       is balanced. *)

    let rec join l x r =
      match bal l x r with
        Empty -> invalid_arg "Set.join"
      | Node(l', x', r', _) as t' ->
          let d = height l' - height r' in
          if d < -2 or d > 2 then join l' x' r' else t'

    (* Merge two trees l and r into one.
       All elements of l must precede the elements of r.
       Assumes | height l - height r | <= 2. *)

    let rec merge t1 t2 =
      match (t1, t2) with
        (Empty, t) -> t
      | (t, Empty) -> t
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, h1), Node(l2, v2, r2, h2)) ->
          bal l1 v1 (bal (merge r1 l2) v2 r2)

    (* Same as merge, but does not assume anything about l and r. *)

    let rec concat t1 t2 =
      match (t1, t2) with
        (Empty, t) -> t
      | (t, Empty) -> t
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, h1), Node(l2, v2, r2, h2)) ->
          join l1 v1 (join (concat r1 l2) v2 r2)

    (* Splitting *)

    let rec split x = function
        Empty ->
          (Empty, None, Empty)
      | Node(l, v, r, _) ->
          let c = compare_elt x v in
          if c = 0 then (l, Some v, r)
          else if c < 0 then
            let (ll, vl, rl) = split x l in (ll, vl, join rl v r)
          else
            let (lr, vr, rr) = split x r in (join l v lr, vr, rr)

    (* Implementation of the set operations *)

    let empty = Empty

    let is_empty = function Empty -> true | _ -> false

    let rec mem x = function
        Empty -> false
      | Node(l, v, r, _) ->
          let c = compare_elt x v in
          c = 0 || mem x (if c < 0 then l else r)

    let rec add x = function
        Empty -> Node(Empty, x, Empty, 1)
      | Node(l, v, r, _) as t ->
          let c = compare_elt x v in
          if c = 0 then t else
          if c < 0 then bal (add x l) v r else bal l v (add x r)

    let singleton x = Node(Empty, x, Empty, 1)

    let rec remove x = function
        Empty -> Empty
      | Node(l, v, r, _) ->
          let c = compare_elt x v in
          if c = 0 then merge l r else
          if c < 0 then bal (remove x l) v r else bal l v (remove x r)

    let rec union s1 s2 =
      match (s1, s2) with
        (Empty, t2) -> t2
      | (t1, Empty) -> t1
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, h1), Node(l2, v2, r2, h2)) ->
          if h1 >= h2 then
            if h2 = 1 then add v2 s1 else begin
              let (l2, _, r2) = split v1 s2 in
              join (union l1 l2) v1 (union r1 r2)
            end
          else
            if h1 = 1 then add v1 s2 else begin
              let (l1, _, r1) = split v2 s1 in
              join (union l1 l2) v2 (union r1 r2)
            end

    let rec inter s1 s2 =
      match (s1, s2) with
        (Empty, t2) -> Empty
      | (t1, Empty) -> Empty
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, _), t2) ->
          match split v1 t2 with
            (l2, None, r2) ->
              concat (inter l1 l2) (inter r1 r2)
          | (l2, Some _, r2) ->
              join (inter l1 l2) v1 (inter r1 r2)

    let rec diff s1 s2 =
      match (s1, s2) with
        (Empty, t2) -> Empty
      | (t1, Empty) -> t1
      | (Node(l1, v1, r1, _), t2) ->
          match split v1 t2 with
            (l2, None, r2) ->
              join (diff l1 l2) v1 (diff r1 r2)
          | (l2, Some _, r2) ->
              concat (diff l1 l2) (diff r1 r2)

    let equal s1 s2 =
      compare s1 s2 = 0

    let rec subset s1 s2 =
      match (s1, s2) with
        Empty, _ ->
          true
      | _, Empty ->
          false
      | Node (l1, v1, r1, _), (Node (l2, v2, r2, _) as t2) ->
          let c = compare_elt v1 v2 in
          if c = 0 then
            subset l1 l2 && subset r1 r2
          else if c < 0 then
            subset (Node (l1, v1, Empty, 0)) l2 && subset r1 t2
          else
            subset (Node (Empty, v1, r1, 0)) r2 && subset l1 t2

    let rec iter f = function
        Empty -> ()
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> iter f l; f v; iter f r

    let rec fold f s accu =
      match s with
        Empty -> accu
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> fold f l (f v (fold f r accu))

    let rec for_all p = function
        Empty -> true
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> p v && for_all p l && for_all p r

    let rec exists p = function
        Empty -> false
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> p v || exists p l || exists p r

    let filter p s =
      let rec filt accu = function
        | Empty -> accu
        | Node(l, v, r, _) ->
            filt (filt (if p v then add v accu else accu) l) r in
      filt Empty s

    let partition p s =
      let rec part (t, f as accu) = function
        | Empty -> accu
        | Node(l, v, r, _) ->
            part (part (if p v then (add v t, f) else (t, add v f)) l) r in
      part (Empty, Empty) s

    let rec cardinal = function
        Empty -> 0
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> cardinal l + 1 + cardinal r

    let rec elements_aux accu = function
        Empty -> accu
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> elements_aux (v :: elements_aux accu r) l

    let elements s =
      elements_aux [] s

    let rec min_elt = function
        Empty -> raise Not_found
      | Node(Empty, v, r, _) -> v
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> min_elt l

    let rec max_elt = function
        Empty -> raise Not_found
      | Node(l, v, Empty, _) -> v
      | Node(l, v, r, _) -> max_elt r

    let choose = min_elt

  end

* Re: [Caml-list] Recursive types and functors.
@ 2003-03-26  8:57   ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2003-03-26  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:25:13AM +0100, Jean-Christophe Filliatre wrote:

> A (too) naive solution could be  to make a polymorphic instance of the
> Set module (either  by adding an argument 'a  everywhere in signatures
> OrderedType  and S,  or  by  copying the  functor  body and  replacing
> Ord.compare by compare); then you have polymorphic sets, say 'a Set.t,
> balanced using compare, and you can define

Actually, my real case doesn't use sets, but a dynamic array
implementation I made myself.  I originally needed a functor because I
needed an empty value to fill in past the used elements of the real
array.

What I ended up doing was filling in those elements with 'Obj.magic 0'.
I don't really like walking outside of the type system, but since I
never return them, I don't think it will be a problem.

I still may try to figure out how to do it with the multiple functor
approach, just so to learn how to do it.

Thanks,
Dave

* Re: [Caml-list] Recursive types and functors.
@ 2003-03-26  9:13   ` Claude Marche
From: Claude Marche @ 2003-03-26  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Filliatre; +Cc: David Brown, Caml List

[-- Attachment #1: message body and .signature --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1847 bytes --]

    JCF> David Brown writes:
    >> I have a recursive type where I'd like one of the constructors of the
    >> type to contain a set of the type (or something like set).  However, I
    >> can't figure out how to represent this.
    >>
    >> For example:
    >>
    >> type foo =
    >> | Integer of int
    >> | String of string
    >> | Set of FooSet
    >>
    >> module FooSet = Set.Make (struct type t = foo let compare = compare end)
    >>
    >> but this obviously doesn't work.

    JCF> There  is (at  least) another  solution: to  use a  set implementation
    JCF> where comparison  does not require  a comparison of elements.  This is
    JCF> possible if, for instance, you are performing hash-consing on type foo
    JCF> (which result  in tagging foo values  with integers, then  used in the
    JCF> comparison). This  solution is used in Claude  Marché's regexp library
    JCF> (http://www.lri.fr/~marche/regexp/) and  uses a hash-consing technique
    JCF> available here: http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/software.en.html

Please find below a solution to your problem using this last
solution. In fact this is independant of hash-consing, only tagging
values with unique integers is important. hash-consing can be added if
wanted. I hope my files are self-explanatory, but otherwise please
ask me if you need help. The module Inttagset is a variant of patricia
trees borrowed from JCF. The module Foo is what you are looking for,
and test.ml is a example of use.

    JCF> Hope this helps,

Me too !

--
| Claude Marché           | mailto:Claude.Marche@lri.fr |
| LRI - Bât. 490          | http://www.lri.fr/~marche/  |

[-- Attachment #2: inttagset.mli --]

(*
 * Ptset: Sets of integers implemented as Patricia trees.
 * Copyright (C) 2000 Jean-Christophe FILLIATRE
 *
 * This software is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *
 * See the GNU Library General Public License version 2 for more details
 * (enclosed in the file LGPL).
 *)

(*i $Id: inttagset.mli,v 1.1 2003/03/07 14:04:01 marche Exp $ i*)

(*s Sets of integers implemented as Patricia trees.  The following
    signature is exactly [Set.S with type elt = int], with the same
    specifications. This is a purely functional data-structure. The
    performances are always better than the standard library's module
    [Set], except for linear insertion (building a set by insertion of
    consecutive integers). *)

type 'a t

val empty : 'a t

val is_empty : 'a t -> bool

val mem : int -> 'a t -> bool

val add : int -> 'a -> 'a t -> 'a t

val singleton : int -> 'a -> 'a t

val remove : int -> 'a t -> 'a t

val union : 'a t -> 'a t -> 'a t

val subset : 'a t -> 'a t -> bool

val inter : 'a t -> 'a t -> 'a t

val diff : 'a t -> 'a t -> 'a t

val equal : 'a t -> 'a t -> bool

val compare : 'a t -> 'a t -> int

val elements : 'a t -> 'a list

val choose : 'a t -> 'a

val cardinal : 'a t -> int

val iter : ('a -> unit) -> 'a t -> unit

val fold : ('a -> 'b -> 'b) -> 'a t -> 'b -> 'b

val for_all : ('a -> bool) -> 'a t -> bool

val exists : ('a -> bool) -> 'a t -> bool

val filter : ('a -> bool) -> 'a t -> 'a t

val partition : ('a -> bool) -> 'a t -> 'a t * 'a t

(*s Additional functions not appearing in the signature [Set.S] from ocaml
    standard library. *)

(* [intersect u v] determines if sets [u] and [v] have a non-empty
   intersection. *)

val intersect : 'a t -> 'a t -> bool

[-- Attachment #3: inttagset.ml --]

(*
 * Ptset: Sets of integers implemented as Patricia trees.
 * Copyright (C) 2000 Jean-Christophe FILLIATRE
 *
 * This software is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 *
 * See the GNU Library General Public License version 2 for more details
 * (enclosed in the file LGPL).
 *)

(*i $Id: inttagset.ml,v 1.1 2003/03/07 14:04:01 marche Exp $ i*)

(*s Sets of integers implemented as Patricia trees, following Chris
    Okasaki and Andrew Gill's paper {\em Fast Mergeable Integer Maps}
    ({\tt\small http://www.cs.columbia.edu/\~{}cdo/papers.html\#ml98maps}).
    Patricia trees provide faster operations than standard library's
    module [Set], and especially very fast [union], [subset], [inter]
    and [diff] operations. *)

(*s The idea behind Patricia trees is to build a {\em trie} on the
    binary digits of the elements, and to compact the representation
    by branching only one the relevant bits (i.e. the ones for which
    there is at least on element in each subtree). We implement here
    {\em little-endian} Patricia trees: bits are processed from
    least-significant to most-significant. The trie is implemented by
    the following type [t]. [Empty] stands for the empty trie, and
    [Leaf k] for the singleton [k]. (Note that [k] is the actual
    element.) [Branch (m,p,l,r)] represents a branching, where [p] is
    the prefix (from the root of the trie) and [m] is the branching
    bit (a power of 2). [l] and [r] contain the subsets for which the
    branching bit is respectively 0 and 1. Invariant: the trees [l]
    and [r] are not empty. *)

type 'a t =
  | Empty
  | Leaf of int * 'a
  | Branch of int * int * 'a t * 'a t

(*s Example: the representation of the set $\{1,4,5\}$ is
    $$\mathtt{Branch~(0,~1,~Leaf~4,~Branch~(1,~4,~Leaf~1,~Leaf~5))}$$
    The first branching bit is the bit 0 (and the corresponding prefix
    is [0b0], not of use here), with $\{4\}$ on the left and $\{1,5\}$ on the
    right. Then the right subtree branches on bit 2 (and so has a branching
    value of $2^2 = 4$), with prefix [0b01 = 1]. *)

(*s Empty set and singletons. *)

let empty = Empty

let is_empty = function Empty -> true | _ -> false

let singleton k e  = Leaf(k,e)

(*s Testing the occurrence of a value is similar to the search in a
    binary search tree, where the branching bit is used to select the
    appropriate subtree. *)

let zero_bit k m = (k land m) == 0

let rec mem k = function
  | Empty -> false
  | Leaf(j,_) -> k == j
  | Branch (_, m, l, r) -> mem k (if zero_bit k m then l else r)

(*s The following operation [join] will be used in both insertion and
    union. Given two non-empty trees [t0] and [t1] with longest common
    prefixes [p0] and [p1] respectively, which are supposed to
    disagree, it creates the union of [t0] and [t1]. For this, it
    computes the first bit [m] where [p0] and [p1] disagree and create
    a branching node on that bit. Depending on the value of that bit
    in [p0], [t0] will be the left subtree and [t1] the right one, or
    the converse. Computing the first branching bit of [p0] and [p1]
    uses a nice property of twos-complement representation of integers. *)

let lowest_bit x = x land (-x)

let branching_bit p0 p1 = lowest_bit (p0 lxor p1)

let mask p m = p land (m-1)

let join (p0,t0,p1,t1) =
  let m = branching_bit p0 p1 in
  if zero_bit p0 m then
    Branch (mask p0 m, m, t0, t1)
  else
    Branch (mask p0 m, m, t1, t0)

(*s Then the insertion of value [k] in set [t] is easily implemented
    using [join].  Insertion in a singleton is just the identity or a
    call to [join], depending on the value of [k].  When inserting in
    a branching tree, we first check if the value to insert [k]
    matches the prefix [p]: if not, [join] will take care of creating
    the above branching; if so, we just insert [k] in the appropriate
    subtree, depending of the branching bit. *)

let match_prefix k p m = (mask k m) == p

let rec ins e k = function
  | Empty -> Leaf (k,e)
  | Leaf(j,_) as t ->
      if j == k then t else join (k, Leaf (k,e), j, t)
  | Branch (p,m,t0,t1) as t ->
      if match_prefix k p m then
	if zero_bit k m then
	  Branch (p, m, ins e k t0, t1)
	else
	  Branch (p, m, t0, ins e k t1)
      else
	join (k, Leaf (k,e), p, t)

let add k e t = ins e k t

(*s The code to remove an element is basically similar to the code of
    insertion. But since we have to maintain the invariant that both
    subtrees of a [Branch] node are non-empty, we use here the
    ``smart constructor'' [branch] instead of [Branch]. *)

let branch = function
  | (_,_,Empty,t) -> t
  | (_,_,t,Empty) -> t
  | (p,m,t0,t1)   -> Branch (p,m,t0,t1)

let rec rmv k = function
  | Empty -> Empty
  | Leaf(j,_) as t -> if k == j then Empty else t
  | Branch (p,m,t0,t1) as t ->
      if match_prefix k p m then
	if zero_bit k m then
	  branch (p, m, rmv k t0, t1)
	else
	  branch (p, m, t0, rmv k t1)
      else

let remove k t = rmv k t

(*s One nice property of Patricia trees is to support a fast union
    operation (and also fast subset, difference and intersection
    operations). When merging two branching trees we examine the
    following four cases: (1) the trees have exactly the same
    prefix; (2/3) one prefix contains the other one; and (4) the
    prefixes disagree. In cases (1), (2) and (3) the recursion is
    immediate; in case (4) the function [join] creates the appropriate
    branching. *)

let rec merge = function
  | Empty, t  -> t
  | t, Empty  -> t
  | Leaf(k,e), t -> add k e t
  | t, Leaf(k,e) -> add k e t
  | (Branch (p,m,s0,s1) as s), (Branch (q,n,t0,t1) as t) ->
      if m == n && match_prefix q p m then
	(* The trees have the same prefix. Merge the subtrees. *)
	Branch (p, m, merge (s0,t0), merge (s1,t1))
      else if m < n && match_prefix q p m then
	(* [q] contains [p]. Merge [t] with a subtree of [s]. *)
	if zero_bit q m then
	  Branch (p, m, merge (s0,t), s1)
        else
	  Branch (p, m, s0, merge (s1,t))
      else if m > n && match_prefix p q n then
	(* [p] contains [q]. Merge [s] with a subtree of [t]. *)
	if zero_bit p n then
	  Branch (q, n, merge (s,t0), t1)
	else
	  Branch (q, n, t0, merge (s,t1))
      else
	(* The prefixes disagree. *)
	join (p, s, q, t)

let union s t = merge (s,t)

(*s When checking if [s1] is a subset of [s2] only two of the above
    four cases are relevant: when the prefixes are the same and when the
    prefix of [s1] contains the one of [s2], and then the recursion is
    obvious. In the other two cases, the result is [false]. *)

let rec subset s1 s2 = match (s1,s2) with
  | Empty, _ -> true
  | _, Empty -> false
  | Leaf(k1,_), _ -> mem k1 s2
  | Branch _, Leaf _ -> false
  | Branch (p1,m1,l1,r1), Branch (p2,m2,l2,r2) ->
      if m1 == m2 && p1 == p2 then
	subset l1 l2 && subset r1 r2
      else if m1 > m2 && match_prefix p1 p2 m2 then
	if zero_bit p1 m2 then
	  subset l1 l2 && subset r1 l2
	else
	  subset l1 r2 && subset r1 r2
      else
	false

(*s To compute the intersection and the difference of two sets, we
    still examine the same four cases as in [merge]. The recursion is
    then obvious. *)

let rec inter s1 s2 = match (s1,s2) with
  | Empty, _ -> Empty
  | _, Empty -> Empty
  | Leaf(k1,_), _ -> if mem k1 s2 then s1 else Empty
  | _, Leaf(k2,_) -> if mem k2 s1 then s2 else Empty
  | Branch (p1,m1,l1,r1), Branch (p2,m2,l2,r2) ->
      if m1 == m2 && p1 == p2 then
	merge (inter l1 l2, inter r1 r2)
      else if m1 < m2 && match_prefix p2 p1 m1 then
	inter (if zero_bit p2 m1 then l1 else r1) s2
      else if m1 > m2 && match_prefix p1 p2 m2 then
	inter s1 (if zero_bit p1 m2 then l2 else r2)
      else
	Empty

let rec diff s1 s2 = match (s1,s2) with
  | Empty, _ -> Empty
  | _, Empty -> s1
  | Leaf(k1,_), _ -> if mem k1 s2 then Empty else s1
  | _, Leaf(k2,_) -> remove k2 s1
  | Branch (p1,m1,l1,r1), Branch (p2,m2,l2,r2) ->
      if m1 == m2 && p1 == p2 then
	merge (diff l1 l2, diff r1 r2)
      else if m1 < m2 && match_prefix p2 p1 m1 then
	if zero_bit p2 m1 then
	  merge (diff l1 s2, r1)
	else
	  merge (l1, diff r1 s2)
      else if m1 > m2 && match_prefix p1 p2 m2 then
	if zero_bit p1 m2 then diff s1 l2 else diff s1 r2
      else
	s1

(*s All the following operations ([cardinal], [iter], [fold], [for_all],
    [exists], [filter], [partition], [choose], [elements]) are
    implemented as for any other kind of binary trees. *)

let rec cardinal = function
  | Empty -> 0
  | Leaf _ -> 1
  | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> cardinal t0 + cardinal t1
;;

let rec iter f = function
  | Empty -> ()
  | Leaf(_,e) -> f e
  | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> iter f t0; iter f t1
;;

let rec fold f s accu = match s with
  | Empty -> accu
  | Leaf(_,e) -> f e accu
  | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> fold f t0 (fold f t1 accu)
;;

let rec for_all p = function
  | Empty -> true
  | Leaf(_,e) -> p e
  | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> for_all p t0 && for_all p t1
;;

let rec exists p = function
  | Empty -> false
  | Leaf(_,e) -> p e
  | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> exists p t0 || exists p t1
;;

let filter p s =
  let rec filt acc = function
    | Empty -> acc
    | Leaf(k,e) -> if p e then add k e acc else acc
    | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> filt (filt acc t0) t1
  in
  filt Empty s
;;

let partition p s =
  let rec part (t,f as acc) = function
    | Empty -> acc
    | Leaf(k,e) -> if p e then (add k e t, f) else (t, add k e f)
    | Branch (_,_,t0,t1) -> part (part acc t0) t1
  in
  part (Empty, Empty) s
;;

let rec choose = function
  | Empty -> raise Not_found
  | Leaf(_,e) -> e
  | Branch (_, _,t0,_) -> choose t0   (* we know that [t0] is non-empty *)
;;

let elements s =
  let rec elements_aux acc = function
    | Empty -> acc
    | Leaf(_,e) -> e :: acc
    | Branch (_,_,l,r) -> elements_aux (elements_aux acc l) r
  in
  elements_aux [] s
;;

(*s Another nice property of Patricia trees is to be independent of the
    order of insertion. As a consequence, two Patricia trees have the
    same elements if and only if they are structurally equal. *)

let equal = (=)

let compare = compare

(*s Additional functions w.r.t to [Set.S]. *)

let rec intersect s1 s2 = match (s1,s2) with
  | Empty, _ -> false
  | _, Empty -> false
  | Leaf(k1,_), _ -> mem k1 s2
  | _, Leaf(k2,_) -> mem k2 s1
  | Branch (p1,m1,l1,r1), Branch (p2,m2,l2,r2) ->
      if m1 == m2 && p1 == p2 then
        intersect l1 l2 || intersect r1 r2
      else if m1 < m2 && match_prefix p2 p1 m1 then
        intersect (if zero_bit p2 m1 then l1 else r1) s2
      else if m1 > m2 && match_prefix p1 p2 m2 then
        intersect s1 (if zero_bit p1 m2 then l2 else r2)
      else
        false

[-- Attachment #4: foo.mli --]

type foo;;

type foo_node =
  | Integer of int
  | String of string
  | Set of foo Inttagset.t

type foo_set = foo Inttagset.t

val foo_node : foo -> foo_node;;
val foo_int : int -> foo
val foo_string : string -> foo
val foo_set : foo_set -> foo
val foo_add : foo -> foo_set -> foo_set
val foo_mem : foo -> foo_set -> bool

[-- Attachment #5: foo.ml --]

type foo =
  {
    foo_tag : int;
    foo_val : foo_node
  }

and foo_node =
   | Integer of int
   | String of string
   | Set of foo Inttagset.t

type foo_set = foo Inttagset.t;;

let foo_node f = f.foo_val

let tag_counter = ref 0

let foo_int i =
  incr tag_counter;
  { foo_tag = !tag_counter; foo_val = Integer i }

let foo_string s =
  incr tag_counter;
  { foo_tag = !tag_counter; foo_val = String s }

let foo_set s =
  incr tag_counter;
  { foo_tag = !tag_counter; foo_val = Set s }

let foo_add f s = Inttagset.add f.foo_tag f s;;

let foo_mem f s = Inttagset.mem f.foo_tag s;;

[-- Attachment #6: test.ml --]

#load "inttagset.cmo";;
#load "foo.cmo";;

open Foo;;

let v1 =
  foo_set
    (foo_add (foo_int 4)
       (foo_add (foo_string "hello")
	  Inttagset.empty));;

let v2 =
  foo_set
    (foo_add (foo_string "world")
       (foo_add v1 Inttagset.empty));;

let rec all_strings foo acc =
  match foo_node foo with
    | Integer _ -> acc
    | String s -> s::acc
    | Set s -> Inttagset.fold all_strings s acc
;;

all_string v2;;

* Re: [Caml-list] Recursive types and functors.
@ 2003-03-26 15:59     ` brogoff
From: brogoff @ 2003-03-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown; +Cc: Caml List

Hi Dave,
    There is no good solution for the problem (on the Subject: line that is) in
the language. This is on my "most annoying flaws of OCaml" list. It's been
dicussed several times on this list, and I think if you look on comp.lang.ml
you'll see a recent thread there too.

    One solution you can use is the parametrization trick, that is, using an
extra type variable to untie the recursive knot. You can do this with sets in
OCaml by writing a polymorphic set functor, as others have explained. I don't
know how you'd do something similar in SML, which doesn't have a polymorphic
compare.

    This really needs a solution sooner rather than later. It makes me wonder
what the point of functors is, since they're obviously not for abstract data
type libraries. OK, I'm just kidding, but it is a nasty problem.

-- Brian