From: Fabrice Le Fessant <lefessan@tyminouch.dyndns.org>
To: Jean-Christophe.Filliatre@lri.fr (Jean-Christophe Filliatre)
Cc: Fabrice Le Fessant <lefessan@tyminouch.dyndns.org>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] heap profiling
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:59:33 +0200	[thread overview]

>  Regarding  the last  point  (the amount  of  data used  by some  ocaml
>  values(s)), I implemented a small  module Size for this purpose. It is
>  available at http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/software.en.html

The problem is that your Size module does not indicate which part of
the size retained by a root is maybe retained by other roots. By the
way, since garbage collections might occur during the execution of
your module, and objects moved in memory, some objects can be counted
twice by your function (only if they were in the minor heap or if
there is a compaction), leading to a small inaccuracy. You should
probably finish the major collection, and prevent compaction during
its execution.

- Fabrice