From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net>
To: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] adding data persistency in Ocaml...
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:33:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear All,

I should work (from mid-september 2003) one year at INRIA on adding
data persistency (as much as orthogonal as possible) to
Ocaml. Persistency would use existing support like filesystems or
RDBMS (like MySQL or PostgreSQL etc) or others.

If you have wishes or ideas on how to do it, potential applications in
need of it (CGIs are obvious candidates, but there are other
interested applications) or pitfalls to avoid, or relevant literature,
please feel free to discuss them on the list (or to send it to me if
you feel it is not of general interest).

Obviously the main problem I identified today is to be able to persist
(and share) data with a slight change in the program using it -
persistency for exactly the same program is partly achievable thru the
existing marshalling machinery. I mean that a program persist its
data, then the developer fix a bug and want the modified program to be
able to use the previously persisted data. Perhaps it might require
adding some reflective abilities inside the language, because the
persistence mechanism need to know about the types.

Note that I am not (yet) a persistency or Ocaml internals expert, and
that I am more a coder than a language theorist.

So comments & suggestions are welcome.

Regards.

NB: opinions here are mine only

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net