From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre <Jean-Christophe.Filliatre@lri.fr>
To: "Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla" <dido@imperium.ph>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] backslashes in ocamllex
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:53:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla writes:
 > Now I'm stuck again.  I'm revising the lexical analyzer for my compiler
 > to enable it to recognize escaped strings, with conventions different
 > from OCaml's.  Currently, I'm using this regex:
 >
 > '\'' ("\\\\"|"\\'"|[^'\''])* '\''
 >
 > in an attempt to recognize strings that begin and end with single
 > quotes, but may possibly include sequences like \' that represent
 > escaped quotes, and '\\' that represent escaped backslashes.  Of course,
 > this doesn't work, as I lately realized, because this string:
 >
 > '\\' '\\'
 >
 > looks like I'm escaping the second quote, so I wind up with an empty
 > token.  Any hints on how I'd go about doing this sort of thing?

This should work:

	'\'' ([^'\'' '\\'] | '\\' _)* '\''

i.e.  any backslash  in the  string must  be followed  by  a character
(whatever  its  interpretation  is).   You  can  be  more  precise  if
backslashes must  be followed  by \  or ' and  nothing else.  Then the
regexp is

(For instance  ocaml strings conform to  the former, but  a warning is
emitted  whenever   the  character  following  \   has  no  particular
interpretation).

--
Jean-Christophe