* OCamlMPI problem
@ 2007-09-17 21:08 Rod
From: Rod @ 2007-09-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

    I'm trying to compile the test file using ocamlmpi, but just what I have
is this message
ocamlc -o testmpi unix.cma mpi.cma test.ml -ccopt -L.
File "test.ml", line 144, characters 6-9:
Warning Y: unused variable res.
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpi
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error while building custom runtime system

I'm using mpich2-1.0.5p4.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Cheer,
Rodiney

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlMPI problem
@ 2007-09-17 21:45 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2007-09-17 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rod; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 18:08 -0300, Rod wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I'm trying to compile the test file using ocamlmpi, but just what
> I have is this message
> ocamlc -o testmpi unix.cma mpi.cma test.ml -ccopt -L.
> File "test.ml", line 144, characters 6-9:
> Warning Y: unused variable res.
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpi
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> Error while building custom runtime system
>
> I'm using mpich2-1.0.5p4.

Try 'locate libmpi' to find where it is on your system.
I have this:

$ ls -lasp /usr/lib/libmpi.so
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2006-08-29 06:45 /usr/lib/libmpi.so
-> /etc/alternatives/libmpi.so

$ ls -lasp /etc/alternatives/libmpi.so
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-04-20 04:06 /etc/alternatives/libmpi.so
-> /usr/lib/mpich/lib/shared/libmpich.so

$ ls -lasp /usr/lib/mpich/lib/shared/libmpich.so
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 2007-04-20
03:52 /usr/lib/mpich/lib/shared/libmpich.so -> libmpich.so.1.0

$ ls -lasp /usr/lib/mpich/lib/shared/libmpich.so.1.0
824 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 837128 2006-11-12
06:59 /usr/lib/mpich/lib/shared/libmpich.so.1.0

Hey, finally found it! [Ubuntu Linux]

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlMPI problem
@ 2007-09-18 13:51 ` Andres Varon
From: Andres Varon @ 2007-09-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rod; +Cc: caml-list

You need to use mpicc as the C compiler and linker. That will take
care of passing whatever flags are needed for proper compilation and
linking. You can pass it to ocaml with:

ocamlc -cc mpicc -o testmpi unix.cma mpi.cma test.ml -ccopt -L.

Andres

@ 2007-09-18 19:23   ` Rod
       [not found]     ` <AE44733D-5A0C-4176-B165-5EF7CDB9C0E7@gmail.com>
From: Rod @ 2007-09-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andres Varon; +Cc: caml-list

Hi again buddies!!
First, thanks for replying me.
Well... I just tried to locate 'libmpi.a' as you can see below:

[rodiney@homer ocamlmpi-1.01]$ locate libmpi.a
/usr/lib/lam/libmpi.a

Then, I tried the following:

[rodiney@homer ocamlmpi-1.01]$ ocamlc -o testmpi mpi.cma unix.cma
test.ml-ccopt -L /usr/lib/lam/libmpi.a

File "test.ml", line 144, characters 6-9:
Warning Y: unused variable res.
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcamlmpi
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error while building custom runtime system

and then I tried to do the following as well:

[rodiney@homer ocamlmpi-1.01]$ ocamlc -cc mpicc -o testmpi unix.cma mpi.cma
test.ml -ccopt -L `locate libmpi.a`

File "test.ml", line 144, characters 6-9:
Warning Y: unused variable res.
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcamlmpi
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error while building custom runtime system

Damn it!! The build system is now asking for 'libcamlmpi.a'
So, I used 'locate' once again:

[rodiney@homer ocamlmpi-1.01]$ locate libcamlmpi
/home/rodiney/ocamlmpi-1.01/libcamlmpi.a
/usr/lib/ocaml/ocamlmpi/libcamlmpi.a

Which 'libcamlmpi.a' should I use??
So, there is a new problem! How can I solve it?? Please, any suggestion?
Thanks again!!

@ 2007-09-25 18:35   ` Jhou ^^
From: Jhou ^^ @ 2007-09-25 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andres Varon; +Cc: caml-list

Hi list!!!
After a hard work, I've eventually got testempi compiled. However, I'm
facing a new kind of problem now. When I just try to run testempi with
mpiexec tool, the 'mpd' process manager (that is, the default process
manager provided by MPICH2 implementation of MPI library) can not  work
properly. Instead,  I got an error message that says the 'lamd' daemon isn't
running. So, it asks me for starting 'lamboot'. So, I'm litte confused here:
is lamboot a tool from LAM/MPI Implementation, isn't it? Then, what about
MPICH2? I mean... do I need to use LAM/MPI to execute ocaml MPI application?
How can I get ocaml working good with MPICH2? 'cause I've already installed
and configured MPICH2 in my cluster.
By the way, does anybody know where to find a good tutorial about ocaml
MPI?? You know.. something with examples and so on!
Thanks in advance in sorry for my bad english!!

@ 2007-10-07 21:33       ` Rod
From: Rod @ 2007-10-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list