* toplevel with pre-installed printers
@ 2006-01-19 16:28 Andrej Bauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2006-01-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

This seems like a trivial question, but I do not know the answer:
how do I create either a toplevel (or a shell script which appears to be
a toplevel) with pre-installed pretty-printers (and pre-opened modules,
for that matter)?

Andrej

* RE: [Caml-list] toplevel with pre-installed printers
@ 2006-01-19 19:40 Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2006-01-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej.Bauer; +Cc: Caml list

| Sorry, I was not clear enough. I know about .ocamlinit. I am going to
| have several custom ocamltop's and they can't all share the same
| .ocamlinit. What now?

You could always checkpoint the OCaml toplevel process. This is what
I do with HOL Light, since it would take several minutes to reload all
the code at startup. Under Linux, I've found "ckpt" very good. However
I don't know of a comparable solution for Windows.

John.

* RE: [Caml-list] toplevel with pre-installed printers
@ 2006-01-20 20:19 Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2006-01-20 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: Caml list

| Under "Linux" ckpt is not available. I tried this, since HOL Light
takes
| ages to load. I even tried to build ckpt from source with no luck.
| Maybe it works for x86 .. but I'm running an x86_64.

I wasn't aware of that problem. It works fine on 32-bit x86, though
there
are some peculiarities of certain Linux variants. I'll look into this,
since I suppose I'll want it myself one day.

| Is there some reason HOL Light doesn't load bytecode?

It's not so much the code (of automated proof procedures etc.) that
slows
the load down, but actually running the proofs to arrive at the basic
core of theorems. Loading as bytecode won't help that significantly.

It would be possible to restructure the code to completely separate data
(theorems) from code (proof procedures), load the former via marshalling
and the latter as bytecode. But it's not very natural to do so, since
one
often wants to introduce theorems and proof procedures in a tightly
interleaved manner.

John.