From: Hendrik Tews <tews@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: xml tree -- variant type tree
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:23:39 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I would like to read an XML file into an element of some variant
type, where each constructor corresponds to precisely one type of
xml nodes. Of course I would need to define the variant type
beforehand. But how to proceed then?

The humps give me the impression that the right library to use is
Gerd Stolpmanns pxp. However, this library will produce an object
tree, which I could probably convert into a variant type with
some effort.

An alternative would be to use XML-Light, which produces string
labelled trees, and to translate these string trees myself.

Is there some better solution?

Background: I would like to manipulate abstract syntax trees of
C++ programs. I couldn't find a C++ parser in Ocaml, therefore I
would like to use Elkhound/Elsa
(http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~smcpeak/elkhound/), which can output
the abstract syntax tree as xml file. Extending Elsa is not an
option, because for ast manipulations I prefer ocaml pattern
matching over C++ visitors.

Bye,

Hendrik