From: crueger@informatik.uni-bonn.de
To: "caml-list" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: OCaml and Matlab
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:47:51 +0200 (MEST)	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am currently trying to get OCaml and Matlab to work together. I found
OCamlMex on the Caml-Hump
(http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/hump.en.cgi?contrib=400).
However when I try to compile it, I get an error:

ocamlc.opt -c -pp "camlp4r " -I /usr/lib64/ocaml/camlp4 mex.mli
File "mex.mli", line 235, characters 15-17:
Unbound type parameter 'a
make[2]: *** [mex.cmi] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/till/ocamlmex-2.0.1/src'
make[1]: *** [byte-code-library] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/till/ocamlmex-2.0.1/src'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2

The line mentioned in the error looks like this:

type mxArray = 'a;
(** The basic type for all the external data inside Matlab : a mxArray
    can be a numeric array, a cell array, a struct array, or other kind of
    data see mxClassID *)

So I am not at all surprised, that it won't work, because the 'a actually
is unbound. Was this maybe possible with older versions of the compiler,
or are there some workarounds, to get it working again?

Do you know of any other ways to get OCaml and Matlab to communicate?
Another way I can think of is to use the OCaml <-> Java interface and the
Matlab <-> Java interface, but this would get nasty, and I'd have to write
the wrappers myself.

So if you know anything on this topic, please let me know.

Thanks,
  Till