* [Caml-list] ocamldep and stdlib
@ 2021-12-10 21:37 David E. Narvaez
From: David E. Narvaez @ 2021-12-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Greetings,

I am fairly inexperienced with OCaml but I have inherited a Makefile from a
project, and it uses ocamldep in a way that is equivalent to the following
example:

$ cat hello.ml
module StringSet = Set.Make(String) ;;
module StringMap = Map.Make(String) ;;
$ ocamldep -I /usr/lib64/ocaml/ hello.ml
hello.cmo : \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/string.cmi \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/set.cmi \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/map.cmi
hello.cmx : \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/string.cmx \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/set.cmx \
    /usr/lib64/ocaml/map.cmx

The problem is those dependency files do not exist, instead I have these
files:

$ ls -1 /usr/lib64/ocaml/*{string,set,map}.cm[ix]
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__map.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__map.cmx
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__set.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__set.cmx
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__string.cmi
/usr/lib64/ocaml/stdlib__string.cmx

I have noticed that I do not get incorrect filenames (in fact, any filenames)
if I do not specify the location of the ocaml libraries:

$ ocamldep hello.ml
hello.cmo :
hello.cmx :

but I was hoping I did not have to change the call in the Makefile.

I have tested this in OCaml 4.09.0 and 4.12.1. Is this a bug? or what is the
correct way of using ocmaldep in this case?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
David E. Narvaez

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamldep and stdlib
@ 2021-12-10 22:12 ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2021-12-10 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello David,

I think you are right that the good thing to do is to remove the "-I"
option and its argument. It does not make sense to me to keep it and I
don't understand why it's there.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.

* RE: [Caml-list] ocamldep and stdlib
@ 2021-12-11 11:44 ` Nicolás Ojeda Bär
From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär @ 2021-12-11 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, David E. Narvaez

Dear David,

In general these kinds of questions are better asked in https://discuss.ocaml.org/. You you will get more and faster answers there.

Regarding your question, removing the `-I` flag will probably fix your problem. Very briefly, the standard library is now "wrapped", which means using prefixed filenames for the compilation artifacts in order to implement a form of namespacing. The problem is that `ocamldep` does not have good support for these kinds of libraries. In any case, declaring explicit dependencies to the standard library is not normally necessary as it only changes when OCaml itself is updated.

If you have further questions, I encourage you to ask them at Discuss, as mentioned above.

Cheers,
Nicolas