* Command line too long
@ 1996-03-06  0:29 Kevin Gallo
From: Kevin Gallo @ 1996-03-06  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr'

I am using CSL 1.12 (the native code compiler) and I have the problem
that my command line gets too long for my shell to handle.  I see no
solution to the problem other than trying to shorten the command line
but this undesirable.  Is there a way to partially link several modules
to do the compile in stages?  Also it would be nice if CSL could support
response files (files with the command line parameters) to allow for
unlimited argument lengths.

Thanks,

Kevin

\0

* Re: Command line too long
@ 1996-03-08  9:22 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 1996-03-08  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Gallo; +Cc: caml-list

> I am using CSL 1.12 (the native code compiler) and I have the problem
> that my command line gets too long for my shell to handle.  I see no
> solution to the problem other than trying to shorten the command line
> but this undesirable.  Is there a way to partially link several modules
> to do the compile in stages?

You can use libraries as intermediate steps:

        cslopt -a -o templib1.cmxa <many .cmx files>
        cslopt -a -o templib2.cmxa <more .cmx files>
        cslopt -o myexec templib1.cmxa templib2.cmxa <remaining .cmx files>

This takes a little longer to link because of the extra I/O involved
with building the libraries, but it should work.

> Also it would be nice if CSL could support
> response files (files with the command line parameters) to allow for
> unlimited argument lengths.

Modern Unix systems set the ARG_MAX limit so high (128 kbytes under
Linux, 40 kbytes under OSF1) that I was hoping this would not be necessary.

Best regards,

- Xavier Leroy