* camlp4
@ 1997-01-14 12:47 Daniel de Rauglaudre
From: Daniel de Rauglaudre @ 1997-01-14 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

We present the first distributed version of Camlp4 (0.4).

Camlp4 is a PreProcessorPrettyPrinter for Objective Caml. It offers
new syntactic library tools and the ability to change, extend and
redefine the concrete syntax of Objective Caml.

In the continuation of the work on "Chamau", but Camlp4 is compatible
with Objective Caml (the knowledge of Chamau is not necessary to use
Camlp4).

   Available by anonymous ftp at INRIA
	ftp.inria.fr (192.93.2.54)
   Directory lang/chamau.

   Or by the Web:
      ftp://ftp.inria.fr/lang/chamau/

   Files: README.camlp4, camlp4.tar.gz, camlp4-doc.ps.gz

 Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE

 Projet Cristal - INRIA Rocquencourt
 Tel: +33 (01) 39 63 53 51
 Email: daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr
 Web: http://pauillac.inria.fr:80/~ddr/

* Re: camlp4
@ 2010-02-06 16:25   ` Chris Conway
From: Chris Conway @ 2010-02-06 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Ed Keith <e_d_k <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> I wrestled with this myself and finally decided to stick with camlp5 until
> there is documentation available for camlp4.

This nails it. I can't believe how many "eat your spinach" replies there
have been to this question. There is no reason whatever to waste your time
figuring out how to use campl4 (post-3.10) when there is a well documented
and widely used alternative. camlp5 may not be the "official" INRIA-blessed
standard, but it has a significant community behind it and is actively
maintained.

-Chris

* camlp4
@ 2010-02-06  1:16 Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2010-02-06  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

My project would really benefit from some simple camlp4 syntax
extensions, however, I am put off by the lack of a reference manual
for it.

At the moment I am tempted to go for camlp5 instead - not least
because I was able to work through it's manual and get some examples
working a while back.

The reality is I would prefer to use camlp4 as it appears to the
official ocaml supported way, but can't see how to get into it as a
beginner due to the lack of documentation (and that appears to have
been the case for quite some time now).  What should one do?

Cheers,
Andy

* camlp4
@ 2008-01-18 17:08 Christian Sternagel
From: Christian Sternagel @ 2008-01-18 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

When using `camlp4o -parser Camlp4ListComprehension' as preprocessor,
is the resulting code the naive translation, like in,

 [(x, y) | x <- xs, even xs, y <- ys]

=>

 List.flatten (
  List.map (fun x -> List.map (fun y -> (x, y)) ys) (List.filter even xs)
 )

or is there an optimization in order to avoid appends and minimize the
number of cons?

cheers

christian