* speed of byte-compiled ocaml considered high
@ 1997-03-15 20:58 Lyn A Headley
From: Lyn A Headley @ 1997-03-15 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

dear camlfiends,

I have recently used ocaml to write a couple of text-munging
scripts.  One of them, which makes a few scans over a fairly large
file, seems to run really fast!  I was wondering if anyone has done
any benchmarks comparing ocaml and other text-processing languages
like perl.

Lyn

* speed of byte-compiled ocaml considered high
@ 1997-03-18  5:15 ` Frank Christoph
From: Frank Christoph @ 1997-03-18  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> dear camlfiends, I have recently used ocaml to write a couple of
> text-munging scripts.  One of them, which makes a few scans over a fairly
> large file, seems to run really fast!  I was wondering if anyone has done
> any benchmarks comparing ocaml and other text-processing languages like
> perl.

  I don't know if you were using the lexing or parsing facilities, but you
should be aware that, although the data tables and peripheral utilities or in
O'Caml, the engines are actually written in C and are part of the run-time
system, so they are very fast, even as bytecode.  Also, I am pretty sure that
the Regexp library is based on GNU regexp, so it is also probably mostly
wrappers for C functions.

--
Frank Christoph                 Next Solution Co.      Tel: 0424-98-1811
christo@nextsolution.co.jp                             Fax: 0424-98-1500