* [English only, sorry] O'Labl hands off the standard library?
@ 1997-04-11  7:28 Ian T Zimmerman
From: Ian T Zimmerman @ 1997-04-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi.  I'm quite intrigued by the polymorphic variant type system
extension in O'Labl and I would like to try it; but I thoroughly
dislike the other parts of O'Labl (labels and optionals).  Is there a
way to apply just parts of the Ocaml -> O'Labl patch to get just the
polymorphic variants and nothing else?  I realize that nothing forces
me to actually _use_ labels and optionals, except --- the standard
library gets labelized!  So, I'd be willing to have the entire compiler
patch applied, if only the library is left alone.  Please?

--
Ian T Zimmerman                        <itz@rahul.net>
I fully support the President's proposal to test driver's license

* Re: [English only, sorry] O'Labl hands off the standard library?
@ 1997-04-11  9:41 ` Jacques GARRIGUE
From: Jacques GARRIGUE @ 1997-04-11  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: itz; +Cc: caml-list

   From: Ian T Zimmerman <itz@rahul.net>

   Hi.  I'm quite intrigued by the polymorphic variant type system
   extension in O'Labl and I would like to try it; but I thoroughly
   dislike the other parts of O'Labl (labels and optionals).  Is there a
   way to apply just parts of the Ocaml -> O'Labl patch to get just the
   polymorphic variants and nothing else?  I realize that nothing forces
   me to actually _use_ labels and optionals, except --- the standard
   library gets labelized!  So, I'd be willing to have the entire compiler
   patch applied, if only the library is left alone.  Please?

Well, since I'm working on the same set of sources for the two
extensions, this is impossible. You get the labels and optionals too,
whether you like it or not. Your dislike surprises me a bit, since
the people who start programming with labels usually enjoy them a lot
:-)

On the other hand, as explained in the manual, if you rename olabl as
ocaml, or use the -nolabels command line option, you can use it as
O'Caml + variants. Then you don't need to write labels in function
calls.

If you don't like to see labels in the standard library, you can
replace it by the original one and bootstrap with it.

	Jacques

Jacques Garrigue	Kyoto University      garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [English only, sorry] O'Labl hands off the standard library?
@ 1997-04-11 12:17 ` Jun P. Furuse
From: Jun P. Furuse @ 1997-04-11 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Hi.  I'm quite intrigued by the polymorphic variant type system
> extension in O'Labl and I would like to try it; but I thoroughly
> dislike the other parts of O'Labl (labels and optionals).  Is there a
> way to apply just parts of the Ocaml -> O'Labl patch to get just the
> polymorphic variants and nothing else?  I realize that nothing forces
> me to actually _use_ labels and optionals, except --- the standard
> library gets labelized!  So, I'd be willing to have the entire compiler
> patch applied, if only the library is left alone.  Please?

O'Labl without labels ... It is no longer O'Labl ... Anyway, use olabl
or olablc with the -nolabels command line option. With this option,
you do not need to put labels.

	% olabl -nolabels

	# let x = String.sub;;
	val x : string -> pos:int -> len:int -> string = <fun>

	# x "aiu" pos: 0 len: 1;;
	- : string = "a"

	# x "aiu" 0 1;;
	- : string = "a"

	# x we: "aiu" are: 0 ignored: 1;;
	- : string = "a"

Still the types are with labels , but O'Labl ignores them. Of course,
you lose the free order applications and the optional arguments.

Jun P. Furuse 					 Jun.Furuse@inria.fr
  INRIA
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique